Yeast Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
First off, sorry if this has been beaten into the ground or is a sticky somewhere, I had no luck getting the info I needed. Second, sorry if this is the wrong forum!

Anyway, I am making my own recipe for a bock and need to choose a yeast, I really don't understand what percentage of attenuation I will need for my brew. I calculated my OG and it should be 1.064 and my FG should be 1.017. So I have been looking at a few yeasts they are:
White Labs WLP833
Wyeast 2206
Saflager W34/70

What yeast would be most appropriate for my brew and should I use 2 packets or vials as I've seen suggested.

I'd suggest using two rehydrated packets of the saflager, if you were to use liquid you'd need a lot more yeast than 2 packages for a lager that big.

ok great...I was going down that road, I've never used liquid yeast...this is only my second brew...so I'll check into the rehydration processes.

I'm only familiar with WYeast.
Assuming your batch is somewhere around 5-6 gallons and assuming the yeast is reasonably fresh, I don't think you would need more than one package but, with that single package, I'd recommend making a starter.

The Wyeast 2206 is supposed to be able to create 9%ABV beers. I'm guessing that your 1.064 OG won't get you quite that high.

Back