Year old German Magnums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Were rated at 14% AA, but stored cold but not frozen, and in a zip lock freezer bag, if you were to use these for bittering what would you calc the AA at? These were opened. Just have about 4-5 ozs to use.

i don't have a formula on hand so hard to tell, but no matter what people say it will be an estimate with quite a range - say something like "anything from 7 to 12%". keep this in mind when you use them: you beer could end up under-bittered or over-bittered.

you only get one shot* at bittering so perhaps best to make a small test batch and see how it turns out. then adjust bigger batches accordingly.

*i guess it's technically not true, i believe you can add hop extract at any point.

fwiw, Beersmith2's Hop Aging tool says 12 months in a poly bag at 37°F would bring that 14% AA down to just a hair under 11%...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
fwiw, Beersmith2's Hop Aging tool says 12 months in a poly bag at 37°F would bring that 14% AA down to just a hair under 11%...

Cheers!

Thanks, i found some info on beer legends .com that is in line with ^ that 11% estimate as well....thanks again!

Back