wyeast whitbread 1099 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
im about to make the aberdeen brown ale(new castle clone) and i cant find the wyeast whitbread 1099 at my lhbs, but he has a very big selection of white labs yeast, is there anything in the white labs line that is similar to the wyeast??

im about to make the aberdeen brown ale(new castle clone) and i cant find the wyeast whitbread 1099 at my lhbs, but he has a very big selection of white labs yeast, is there anything in the white labs line that is similar to the wyeast??

AFIK White Labs doesn't carry the standard whitbread strain, only the whitbread dry (equivalent to Wyeast 1098). Safale S-04 is the same strain as Wyeast 1099 but in dry form. I prefer S-04 over 1099 since I get twice the cells in an easier to care for package for half the price, but YMMV.

For future reference, WLP017, a Mar-Apr seasonally available yeast, is labelled as Whitbread II, and White Labs ranks it a 4 out of 4 in terms of appropriateness for a Brown Ale

Latest posts

Back