Wyeast smack pack issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 34807

Reaction score
Hello,

I smacked my Wyeast pack about 24 hrs before I pitched and it was nice and inflated, etc. However, I was in such a hurry today that right before I cut the pouch open to pitch it I totally forgot to shake it up. It was sitting on my counter fully inflated but unshaken for several hours. When i poured it into my bucket I saw about 3 small globs of clumped yeast fall out knowing full well that there was more inside. I was very angry at myself, even after I just read Charlie's book and I know I totally should relax and have a homebrew. :mug:

I shook my wort up good, which was at 70 degrees at pitch time and is now sitting in my basement at 70 (stout ale). Will it be ok? Should I grab another pack of yeast tomorrow so I can pitch tomorrow evening?

Thanks,
Goose

If the airlock starts bubbling in a day or so you will know that you are probably okay. If you took a gravity reading, just wait 10-14 days and take another reading. That will tell you if need to pitch more yeast.

Yes, RDWHAHB! Yeast are hardy little buggers. The little bit you got into the wort will probably do it's magic. Just keep an eye on it. If you don't see foam or the bubbler doesn't start bubbling in a few days, then maybe you might thing about pitching more yeast. But with the small amount you got in there, it may take a few days to get going.

Everything should be fine. Just remember that testing for fermentation with your hydrometer is the only way to know for sure if it's stuck. Don't trust a lack of krausen or air-lock activity.

Back