Wyeast headwaters ale smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
Tomorrow I plan on brewing Ferocious IPA from Midwest Supply, I got this smack pack they offered with the recipe. I've never used a smack pack before or a liquid yeast for that matter. I'm nervous about it since it was shipped and don't know how high the temps may have gotten. The OG is supposed to be about 1.065, that's the highest gravity I have will have brewed and the yeast says it can handle 1.060 OG. I also have a pack of Nottingham in the fridge.
So at 7:00 am I plan to smack the pack and I will be back from work around 5:30 pm to start brewing, hopefully pitching by 9:00pm. Does this sound ok? I have the pack of yeast sitting at room temp right now (70*)

I generally leave the smack packs in the fridge until I start the brewing session. Then I remove them, smack them and they are completely swollen when I pitch. Don't worry about the 1.065 it will be fine. My first attempt with Headwater's went from 1.057 to 1.003, now to find out what it tastes like!

I wouldn't smack it in the morning. Just pull it out of the fridge when you get home and smack it and leave it on the counter. Kinda pushing it with one pack for 1.065 OG but it should be okay. The biggest thing you can do to help it is aerate the heck out of that wort before you pitch.

Also, don't worry if it doesn't fully swell before you are ready to pitch and be sure to shake it thoroughly before pitching:mug:

I'll put it back in the fridge, and smack when I get home, thanx guys!
How bad would it be to use the dry Nottingham w/ it?

It wouldn't be bad per se but I would give the headwaters a chance on its own first to get the character out of it and "clean up" with the notty if you had to. However, I really think you'll be fine with just the Headwaters.

If you have the time, I'd push back brewing until the following day and make a starter. Unless I'm brewing something really low gravity, I make a habit of using a starter every time I use one. Up your cell count, and that way you'll know for sure before you brew that the yeast is still good.

step said:
It wouldn't be bad per se but I would give the headwaters a chance on its own first to get the character out of it and "clean up" with the notty if you had to. However, I really think you'll be fine with just the Headwaters.

Good advice.

Qhrumphf said:
If you have the time, I'd push back brewing until the following day and make a starter. Unless I'm brewing something really low gravity, I make a habit of using a starter every time I use one. Up your cell count, and that way you'll know for sure before you brew that the yeast is still good.

I haven't made a starter yet, but now you got me thinking.

+1 on making a starter. You would be okay with just the smackpack but a starter will ensure healthy active yeast go into solution. This should result in healthier more vigorous fermentation and a (potentially) cleaner, better tasting beer.

If I want to make a starter, can I use some DME from a kit I'm going to use for the starter, or is there anything else I can use beside DME?

If I want to make a starter, can I use some DME from a kit I'm going to use for the starter, or is there anything else I can use beside DME?

You can "steal" some DME from the kit. I buy a 3 pound bag each year, just for starters, so it's a good idea to purchase some in the future but you can get by right now without extra.

I'd use 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water. Boil, cool, add to sanitized glass jug and then add the yeast and cover with sanitized foil. Shake everytime you walk by, and that will be fine.

A starter is basically a requirement for any liquid yeast with an OG of above about 1.040. Even a small starter is better than no starter, although proper pitching rates will improve the beer.

Back