Wyeast 2565 Stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan83865

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying in all my AG batches, I've never had one stall. I pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) in 5gal of 1.066 wort on Sunday. Fermentation took off quickly as usual (60deg), and I had some blowoff. I normally don't take early gravity readings, but I took one last night for whatever reason and measured ~1.032. I obviously got a little antsy, so I checked again tonight and measured 1.030. Is this yeast really that slow, or has it stalled? I have used this yeast one other time a couple years ago and had no issues. I read all the posts talking about this being a slow yeast, but my gut tells me this is too slow. Let it go or would it be worth pitching another pack? I mashed at 154deg, use a thermapen, use temperature control for fermentation, and have checked my hydrometer.

Any thoughts, advice, or words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks.

Wait another day or so, take your reading, and if it's at 1.03 again, then it's probably done.

Whether the SG has moved or not, I would move it to a warmer location and give it a gentle stir. I've only used WY2565 5-6 times, but it's never stalled on me.

Not yet. I plan to either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll post the results. I know 2565 is a slow yeast-I just can't believe that it's this slow. That's why I was hoping to get some feedback from others that use it a lot. The only other time I used it, I let it go for 3 weeks without checking and it went from 1.072 to 1.017 at the same temperature.

Went down in the basement today to take another sample and found that it was blowing off into my airlock. Obviously warming it up from 60 to 63deg got it rolling again. I skipped the sample for now and put a blow off tube back on. This yeast obviously behaves differently than what I typically use. I have a funny feeling it would've kept SLOWLY chugging along at 60, but I'm hoping the slightly warmer temp will dry it out a little more. I plan to take another sample once things slow down again.

Checked it tonight and it was only at 1.026, but it was still chugging away. I guess I'll just let it do it's thing and see where it ends up.

Latest posts

Back