Wyeast 2112 at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemphill

Reaction score
So I picked up my first AG recipe today for an Oktoberfest and was going to use SA-05 since I am unable to lager. The guy at the LHBS recommended Wyeast 2112 which is a California lager and to ferment at ale temps. I looked up the optimal temps and it states 58-68 degrees. I know I can hit 66-68 with a swamp cooler but am a little worried about this.

Any suggestions or should I just go with it?

I think it's worth a shot; I used it for a lager recently in the 50's, but I'll say this: my starter tasted pretty damn clean, and that must've been going around 70 or so. I think it could work. Anchor starts out Steam at 63, and finishes @ 68.

I fermented a Lager yeast at Ale temps a long time ago - can't remember which yeast it was, but the beer ended up tasting great. The temps on that yeast you are going to use seem pretty forgiving, so I bet it'll come end up working well.

Latest posts

Back