Wyeast 2001 Urquell..Man this stuff is different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensplace

Reaction score
Okay, So far I have brewed exclusively with ale yeast, but now come a Pilsen. I have read about the sulfur smell, but after propogating this to achieve a higher pitch rate, I now have two quarts. Having seen two approaches to tossing the yeast, I am wondering whether the strong sulfur aroma is perfectly normal...as in do I really want to toss in the whole two quart bacth, or do I our off some of the liquid first to reduce any negative flavor and aroma of the excess liquid. With ales, I have always simply used the whole batch...liquids and solids. Thing is, I certainly don't want to have this sulfur aroma or adverse tastes..but maybe this is perfectly normal and will dissipate. Thing is, I am ready to add the yeast to the wort today! The yeast is ready and has been growing for three days...currently cooling to the wort temp. Your suggestions?

The sulphur smell is normal. You'll find many lager yeasts stink to high heaven. However, the yeasties come back and clean up after their party during the lagering.

On a tangent, I rarely pitch my starter liquid (at least, no more than I need to get the slurry in). Rather, I crash the starter in the fridge overnight (or over a couple nights) and decant.

TL

+ for decant. I don't even keep enough to liquify the slurry. What I do is decant then add a cup of the cooled fresh wort and pitch this.

Thanks to both of you! My first attempt at a Pilsen is now pitched and under way.

Back