Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweetness is a recipe design flaw. Diacetyl butter/slickness is a fermentation flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used this yeast this weekend. Pitched it Sunday afternoon and it was gassing when I checked it Monday morning. Now it is Tuesday and it has already stopped gassing. This seems odd to me. The temp is 70F. Any clues why it has stopped so quickly?

At that temp, that's pretty normal behavior.

I've used this yeast a few times now and its a beast. 2 out of 3 times i lost a gallon due to blow off. It's very fast and drops quickly. I pitched a batch on monday afternoon with it and by tuesday morning @ 66 it was on its way. On thursday night i ramped it up to 70 and its pretty much done. it's currently at .016 from .065

This is an epic IPA yeast, with soft and fruity notes. Anyone still have this?

I'm on my 8th or so recycle of this yeast. Pitching pack man tonight.

I'm on my 6th pitch with this yeast and it's still going strong. I've used it in stouts along with pales/IPA and it works well in both. I just love that it seems to ferment out completely in 3 1/2 days. It's super vigorous then drops clear in a few days. I wish they would put it out again because I feel bad reusing it so many times without giving them money.

Just tasted what was probably my 8th repitch of this yeast.

Another IPA.

It does not taste as clean as before. Temperatures were tightly controlled. Still good but isn't excellent.

First time using comet hops though but I don't think that is the cause.

I've heard more than 6 recycles and yeast mutates. Of course there are tolerances with everything. But I guess that metric is a good guide.

I'm going on detox for 3 weeks. Maybe the age will turn my good beer into excellent beer :)

Got this at the LHBS on Friday, they had just gotten it in, and pitched it into a 3.5 gallon batch of an American Dark Ale I brewed up yesterday afternoon that I'm calling "Dark Galaxy" (real original). I chose it over what's supposedly the Heady Topper yeast from a local yeast lab, since I didn't want the fruity flavors that one gives off and this one has similar attenuation but much better flocculation –

OG 1.083
IBU 83 (calculated with Tinseth)

80% pale malt
10% Victory
5% C10 (UK)
5% Blackprinz

A few grams of Warrior at the start of the boil (just whatever I had left from a recent brew to help with boilovers) then hopbursted with Galaxy at 20, 7, and FO. I'll also dry hop it with 2 more ounces of Galaxy when it comes time, and maybe an ounce of EKG, First Gold, Fuggles, or Willamette.

EDIT: 12 hours after pitching just a few small bubbles on top, no rollicking fermentation. Pitched and started fermentation at 62.

Peeked again at 18 hours and it had a decent layer of krausen starting to form, and by 24 hours it was going strong. I upped the temp to 64 at 24 hours and am going to ramp it up 2 degrees a day (to the max of 74) to ensure it ferments completely and dries the beer out. I'm hoping it finishes around 1.017 or lower.

Getting in on this thread because this yeast seems great and I love Stone...

Started a 3.5L starter on Thursday, 10/30/14. Saturday morning, 11/01 I moved the started to the fridge and let it start to settle out.

Brewed a kicked up sierra nevada pale ale clone on Sunday, 11/02. Officially called, "The Super Dank 'Stoned' SNPA Clone". Uses an extra 2oz of cascade and a hopstand.

20# colorado malting company pale malt
3# C60 (1.5# american and 1.5# british...it was what the LHBS had)

90 min boil, collected 13g, reduced to 11g over 1.5 hours
1oz magnum 60 mins
1oz Perle 30 mins
2oz cascade 20 mins
2oz cascade 10 mins
4oz cascade flameout

At flame out, I immediately started recirculating at full blast. I have a Kal clone panel, so I set the BK temp at 170F and let her rip for an hour. This was a recirc THROUGH my duda plate chiller (cause I'm lazy). No clogging with my Norcal false bottom and filter stand.

After the hour was up, I started chilling, kept recirculating, and moved to fermenter once the temp coming out of the chiller was about 64F. Pitched the now decanted starter onto 64F wort and set the ferm chamber for 68F.

Final OG on this beer was 1.062, efficiency around 82%.

As of today, 11/07, beer is at 1.020.

The fermentation on this has been very slow and steady, like literally the last 3 days its been incredibly steady. Tasted the sample and wow, this yeast is pretty killer. I brewed almost exactly the same beer a month ago with S-05 and its a huge difference. The malt flavors really come out. It still has a few points to go, but I can tell now which I'm going to prefer.

It's gonna be a good one! This yeast and pacman are my favorite.

Oh. And I can't forget kolsch 2565. Another fav. Steady fermentation and produces good beers after as little as 10 days. Drinking a 2 week old one now. Supurb!

I can really taste that "Stone" flavor, I never realized how much of that came from the yeast. It's pretty fantastic right now at room temp and not even fully attenuated.

I am not familiar with stone because I live in Canada. But I believe I have tried it in the past. Mostly what I get from 1217 is a very clean ferment. No perceivable yeast imparted flavors. Allows the malt and hops to shine through.

Assessment is subjective however and good on both sides is double good!

Random fact: the Stone yeast originally came from the Pyramid Brewery in Portland (not the wheat yeast).

Carry on.

I am thinking of using this for a Brown Ale. I have only used it with IPAs, and it is my favorite yeast for IPA. I always try for Northern English Brown style with British Maris Otter as a base, an English yeast (London, British Wyeast), keeping clear of American hops. I think I will give this baby a spin for a Brown since it is my only fresh yeast.

I am thinking of using this for a Brown Ale. I have only used it with IPAs, and it is my favorite yeast for IPA. I always try for Northern English Brown style with British Maris Otter as a base, an English yeast (London, British Wyeast), keeping clear of American hops. I think I will give this baby a spin for a Brown since it is my only fresh yeast.

I will be brewing a brown ale with this tomorrow. Will report back with results

I just sampled the first bottle of my third batch with this yeast (repitched), and this is one of my favorite strains. It's not only for IPAs, this latest batch is a 1.040/15IBU pale adjunct beer that turned out delicious. I'm looking forward to trying out more recipes with it.

Bumping an old thread here but wondering if anyone is still using this, looks like it's back on
for January-March.

If it's Stone's strain I've read they ferment at 72.. However in a home-brew setting we should
be fermenting a little colder than that correct? Anyone have a great temp recommendation for
this yeast?

That strain wasn’t my favorite. Reminded me very much like Chico/Pac-Man cross. It has been a long time, but it was a strain I didn’t reuse after the original 2 batches.

It does well with high temps. I have it on a slant and brew with it a few times a year. I would not worry about fermenting it up to 72F, it is pretty darn clean/neutral below 68F.

It makes nice clean beers and attenuates/floccs well. Not a huge fan of it in more balanced/hoppy styles though, as it tends to accentuate bitterness more so than aroma. In that way, it is very Stone-like. Supposedly started as an Alt yeast.

Stone makes some unfiltered beers. Why not drink the beer and step up the dregs? http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-seasonals/stone-vengeful-spirit-ipa
To my knowledge, even the "filtered" Stone beers aren't filtered but merely centrifuged. I (believe that I) isolated yeast from a regular bottle of Stone beer on a malt agar petri dish and grew it to pitching size. I did a side-by-side with WY1217 (as far as my basement brewery permits, so no guarantees about perfectly equal pitching and aeration rates) and concluded that they're the same strain. The Stone yeast tatest more assertive to me, 1217 is more subtle.

To me, 1217 is like somebody fixed what's wrong with Nottingham. It's a reliable dry ale yeast with a little esters, but lacks the tart aftertaste that I got from Nottingham. I never got the "Chico" peach that I think I can taste in US-05.

That said, I've been repitching (overbuilt starter) a 1217 culture for what must be two years now at least and am hereby declaring it my de-facto house strain.

Back