Wyeast 1214 temperature changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oiban

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I recently brewed a Belgian blonde ale (O.G 1.065) using a Wyeast 1214, pitched a starter at 65F and for the next 2 days it fermented very actively. Rising to 70F some times, I did my best to keep it cool and within 68 F.

After the first 2 days active fermentation was done, took a gravity readin and I had 1.016 (expected FG) and the temperature of the fermenter fell to 65. Should I try to rise the temp?

I've been reading about Belgian yeasts recently and most people seems to agree I should try to let it finish at higher temps 75 or even more. Am I too late? Most people says "let it rise" but this one isn't rising by itslef, seems to be pretty happy at 65.

Should I just let it sit at 65 68 for 3 more weeks or so? or should I rise room temp to 72 or even 75 for the next few weeks for it to attenuate better?

Another thing I'm wondering is how much can this temp fluctuation I had at the start, from 65 to 70 and then back down, affect my beer?

First Belgian ale, not sure what to do, never had an active fermentation that fast or vigorous before.

Thanks in advance to all!:mug:

Back