Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Dad

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I just brewed up an Altbier using Wyeast 1007. Just wondering what's the lowest temp anyone has fermented with this yeast? Mine's sitting at 52° F which is 3 degrees lower than the recommended low. Anybody have experience going below 55° F? Just curious so I can have an idea what to expect. It's been in the primary for 5 days now...

OG 1.051 down to 1.019 today.

I have never taken it that low, but have done it in my basement that was 52 degrees, but the brew temp was higher because of the heat generated from fermenting. I usually bring them into a warmer spot to finish up.

It's in a conical sitting in my garage where ambient has been fluctuating between 46° F & 55° F. I took another hydro reading this morning and saw that it it hasn't dropped since yesterday. Wort temp was 49° F. I'm going to bring it into the 70° F house to see if that will get it moving. I'd really like to see the gravity drop down to 1.010

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers!

Quick update (in case anyone cares) - brought the fermentor into the house yesterday. Wort temp gradually warmed up to 67° F over the last 24 hours. Gravity dropped 9 points!!

Hydro sample tastes super clean - no fruity esters. I'll leave it where it is for a couple days, then lager near freezing for a few weeks. Mmmm balanced bitter malty alt. :cross:

I have been using this yeast alot lately. I ferment in a controlled fermentation chamber @ 61-63F. My last 4 beers have finished at 1.010 consistently. Make sure you give this yeast a 2 week resting period after fermentation or you will notice a sulfury taste. Other than that this yeast is amazing! I've never had clearer or cleaner tasting beers!

I fermented this in my basement at the 55 degree range. I had an OG of 1.042 and it finished at 1.008. It was super crisp but wasn't clear until I had it kegged for about a month. The cloudiness surprised me at first but chilling it helped big time.

Back