Cider Hasn't Begun Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelsowitworth

Reaction score
Hello,

First post!

I started my first apple cider about 48 hours ago now. I used apple juice that did not have any sorbates in it or anything like that. It did have ascorbic acid, but from what I've read that wouldn't hinder production. I read that within 24-36 hours you should be able to see the first signs of fermentation. I'm brewing 6 gallons in a 6.5gal fermenter with an airlock on top. I'm using Red Star Cote Des Blancs yeast with a yeast nutrient. I followed the instructions and let the yeast sit in 50-100mL of water 100 degrees F for 10 minutes before adding (pitching?) it to the juice. Cote de Blancs info sheet says it can work fast in temperatures as low as 53 F. I know I'm pushing it by a few degrees, but the environment is fluctuating between 50 and 55 degrees F. Logically the reason I'm not seeing signs of fermentation is due to the temperature as nothing else seems to be out of line.

Asking for Recommendations: Should I bring it out of the attic and into the house where the temperature is 70F? Should I let it sit for a couple more days and see if I get some initial signs of fermentation? Could it be that the vessel is too big for me to notice the signs of fermentation yet? If I am to bring it inside, am I to assume the yeast has died and add more activated yeast?

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

First post!

I started my first apple cider about 48 hours ago now. I used apple juice that did not have any sorbates in it or anything like that. It did have ascorbic acid, but from what I've read that wouldn't hinder production. I read that within 24-36 hours you should be able to see the first signs of fermentation. I'm brewing 6 gallons in a 6.5gal fermenter with an airlock on top. I'm using Red Star Cote Des Blancs yeast with a yeast nutrient. I followed the instructions and let the yeast sit in 50-100mL of water 100 degrees F for 10 minutes before adding (pitching?) it to the juice. Cote de Blancs info sheet says it can work fast in temperatures as low as 53 F. I know I'm pushing it by a few degrees, but the environment is fluctuating between 50 and 55 degrees F. Logically the reason I'm not seeing signs of fermentation is due to the temperature as nothing else seems to be out of line.

Asking for Recommendations: Should I bring it out of the attic and into the house where the temperature is 70F? Should I let it sit for a couple more days and see if I get some initial signs of fermentation? Could it be that the vessel is too big for me to notice the signs of fermentation yet? If I am to bring it inside, am I to assume the yeast has died and add more activated yeast?

Thank you in advance!

You should be seeing signs of fermentation by now. If you don't see any airlock activity, it may be there is not a proper seal somewhere else and the CO2 is escaping elsewhere. However, one tell tale sign is the apple juice should be getting cloudy as the yeast multiples and are in suspension.

I would go ahead and move it inside. Fermenting at 70F should have no ill effects on a hard cider with that yeast. If that doesn't work, the yeast was not viable for some reason. My guess would be the water you rehydrated the yeast in was warmer than you thought and it killed the yeast. Add some more dry yeast directly to the fermenter, no need to rehydrate, and fermentation should take off.

What @aaronmq said^
Perhaps place in an area with temps in between, and not quite 70F. Low 60s would be wonderful.

Keeping ferm temps steady is also important, especially to help finish out. A sudden temp drop (like 5-10 degrees overnight) can stall a fermentation.

And welcome to our forums!

Latest posts

Back