WY1728 rapid fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClockCodes

Reaction score
We brewed a 1.092 Barley Wine on the 20th. Post-Mash the OG was 1.080, but we dumped some DME in during the boil and it concentrated down to 1.092,

Now on the 24th its gravity is 1.021 already. Around 84 hours total, since we pitched late and measured early today. Fermentation temp is 68 F.

We used WY1728 with a 7 day starter. On day 6 (night before the brew) I doubled the starter to refresh it, though no krausen appeared.

Furthermore we didn't use any aeration techniques other than rocking the bucket and stirring as we siphoned from the kettle.

From my searches here on HBT, barley wines should take 2-3 weeks when properly pitched and aerated. We had, to be candid, poor aeration and yeast management technique. I expected a stuck fermentation, so how did it chew through .071 points already?

I was going to add some sugar/honey at the end of primary, but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea? Again we expected the exact opposite of this, so I was planning on bumping up the ABV and drying it out a bit.

Is WY1728 just a monster? Anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited:
I've never noticed that Scottish yeast was particularly noteworthy for that, I've used it in a number of beers, but I've also never noted that its slow, either. In any case, leave it be for a while, with a big fermentation like that, it will have a lot of clean up work to do.

I've never noticed that Scottish yeast was particularly noteworthy for that, I've used it in a number of beers, but I've also never noted that its slow, either. In any case, leave it be for a while, with a big fermentation like that, it will have a lot of clean up work to do.

It'll be in primary for about 3 weeks. Thanks for the reply!

Just used 1728 too, it went through a 1.060 wort in 3 days, currently at 1.012. That was at 15 celcius (59f) under 13psi of pressure. If you fermented warmer and at atmospheric pressure, I'm not too surprised with your results. As already said, make sure to leave it some time on the cake to clean up everything !

Just used 1728 too, it went through a 1.060 wort in 3 days, currently at 1.012. That was at 15 celcius (59f) under 13psi of pressure. If you fermented warmer and at atmospheric pressure, I'm not too surprised with your results. As already said, make sure to leave it some time on the cake to clean up everything !

Nice. I bet a cooler temp would have been more prudent. But we're also fermenting a saison so we split the difference.

Hope yours turns out well

Back