Wyeast1056 Fermented Warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanaHomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a beautiful IPA using @Yooper house pale ale recipe, with Wyeast 1056 but had to quickly place it in the fermentation chamber because we had to leave. Left it alone for about 15 hours, and checked on it this morning. It was fermenting really well, already had a nice thick Krausen, but I noticed it was really really warm in the chamber, probably around 80F.

Turns out I forgot to place the temp probe in the chamber, so the fermwrap heater was running since it cooled down in my garage last night, probably for about 9hrs total. I have fixed it now, but what can I expect as far as esters and potential off flavors given that short time it was so warm? Should I pitch another pack of yeast?

From a fusels/esters perspective, 1056 is reasonably tolerant of high-ish teperatures, but 80F (probably a few degrees higher than that in the fermenter) is pushing it, IMO.

If it's going to be a problem, I don't know if there's anything you can do to fix it at this point. The stage for fusels and esters is set pretty early in the fermentation. AFAIK, more yeast wouldn't do anything to help.

Kind of what I thought, we will just chalk this one up to an experiment lol

Luckily, I brewed most of this using hops and grain I needed to get rid of anyway

Back