Would an inkbird thermostat save my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tancred the Brewer

Brewing Irony
Reaction score
I have been kegging for about 10 years, using a Danby wine fridge as my fridge. I learned early on the on-board temperature control module of the fridge was bad. I disconnected the control buttons from the panel but left the thermostat connected. It works pretty well but it keeps the fridge at it's default temp of 55 F except for the time or two a year that the whole thing freezes up. All I have to do is unplug the fridge to reset it and it defrosts itself.

My question is, if I would purchase an inkbird thermostat would I be able to by-pass the onboard thermostat and begin to have temp control again? Anyone have any experience doing something like this? What do I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

You may be able to bypass the existing thermostat/control module and use an Inkbird or equivalent to control the compressor.
If there any fans (eg: condenser and/or evaporator fans) note how they are currently controlled so you can try to control them the same way...

Cheers!

i got gifted a used kegerator mini fridge. the thermostat was shot and it wouldn't turn on. so i pulled the back panel, and just jumped past the thermostat. so that if it's directly pluged into a wall socket it would just stay constantly on, but i have it pluged into an inkbird temp controller....so far so good!

Back