Wort Too Cold Overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
Here's a potential new "I screwed up, is my beer still OK?" question.

Keggerator is empty so I decided to ferment my brown rye with 1098 in it yesterday. Only problem, was that I didn't set the new temp on my STC correctly (its NOW set properly).

I pitched at 70 at 10:30 last night and 12hrs later, I wake up to see my freezer is at 43 and NOT 64 which (I thought) I set it at. Whoops

My guess is that everything is dormant and when it warms up, just shake it back up and get on with it. I underpitched by about half (1 smack pack in a 1.056 wort) so I have some room for adding another pack on the safe side when it warms up.

So what's the consensus? Ride with it or grab another smack pack from my LHBS?

Air Lock or Blow off tube? You should be fine. The yeast will wake up when your temp is back up. Shaking it to get em going and to add a little aeration is a good move. If your using an air lock you should see action within 24 hrs at the right temp. If you see no action than take a reading after 4-5 days. If there is no change in gravity than Plan B. More yeast.

Airlock.

My gut says everything should be good, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!

You will be fine! As others have said you might need to give it a shake get it going faster. Just watch the hydrometer and make sure its falling.

Back