If you wanna chuckle... Read this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
So.. I got my setup going. I'm due to brew my first batch in yeaaaaars this Saturday or Sunday on my spike 15g solo. I have 3 brand new kegland 5g kegs. I figured I would soak them in pbw. And rinse them so they are ready to fill with starsan on brewday and use the fermentation to push the starsan out and help purge the O2 out to save money on my CO2 tanks and only use them to carbonate and pressure ferment.

I said. "Heck I don't even know if these kegs are hold pressure. I have to test them!". I filled one with water 3/4 or so full to save on CO2. I only had a beverage side ball lock QD duotight fitting laying around so I put that on my 10lb CO2 popped it on the out side of keg and pumped 10psi in it. I heard it bubble and stop. I unhooked it. Hours later I pulled the relief and said uh oh. It's leaking because barely any CO2 came out.

I pumped 20psi in it. Let it sit over night in my garage. Checked it. Started throwing tools. No CO2 is coming out when I pull the relief. Fill it up again. Soak the top of the keg in starsan. I see no bubbles. Next day empty again. This time I stomp my butt in my bathroom and run the tub. I fill it up. I'm determined to find the leak. I throw the keg into the tub after another refill to 20psi. I hope that sucked down like I'm trying to drown in. Might have even said a few cuss words like I was indeed drowning it. I see nothing.

3 days of battling this. It hits me. Wait a second. Maybe the co2 is possibly getting absorbed by the freshwater. I might be slowly making carbonated water. I take my beverage QD. And a mason jar. I hook it up and water flows out. It looks like water. Not bubbly like sparkling. I take a sip and I taste that carbonated flavor. Low and behold. I came to conclusion that I was just slowly putting CO2 into the water it had a slight taste of flat carbonated water that sat out hours or overnight. It's not the cold outside so I don't think it would take in a lot as if it was chilled to 35*. I don't know. I'm lost.

I don't think I have a leak. I drown that sucker. I do not see any bubbles .lol I finally took my co2 tank and filled the keg empty to 15psi. I'll check it tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll smack my forehead and call myself stupid.

I have one. Haven't thought of it to somehow put air in unitanks and kegs. Or adapter
I had an old compressor hose lying around. I cut the end off where the connection to the tank is and left about 2 or 3 feet. Got an old QD and a hose clamp and put it on. I have checked about 5 of the 11 kegs I have and they all seem to be holding pressure. Compressed air is much cheaper than CO2. LOL.

I use a cheap inflation adapter with a piece of tubing and QD attached. I really don't care if my connection leaks as long as I can get a few PSI into the keg to make sure the keg doesn't leak. It's just air after all.

I had an old compressor hose lying around. I cut the end off where the connection to the tank is and left about 2 or 3 feet. Got an old QD and a hose clamp and put it on. I have checked about 5 of the 11 kegs I have and they all seem to be holding pressure. Compressed air is much cheaper than CO2. LOL.
Heck ya. Any worry about the compressed air being oily? I already cleaned all these kegs with pbw. I'm wondering if I do this. Do I need to resoak

I was going to say oil
Beware the oil
Oil mist in the compressed air, very Very VERY unwanted in your kegs/lines/couplings/beer.

I was going to say oil
Beware the oil
Oil mist in the compressed air, very Very VERY unwanted in your kegs/lines/couplings/beer.
I just got it with air. I'll resoak with pbw after this. I'll soak with hot water and dish soap. Then hot water and pbw and run pbe through posts in and out before hooking up to fermentation to use the CO2 to push out the sanitizer

So y'all never heard of an oil-free air compressor?
I'm actually cracking up right now. I have a large California air tools ultra quiet oil free air compressor. I forgot that it was oil free. I bought it because it is super quiet. Lol! Doh!

If you have multiple kegs to sanitize and to fill with CO2 before kegging....

This absolutely works - i've done it multiple times. Fill the first keg with sanitizer, connect the rest in serial, let it rip. Eventually, the last one will blow the sanitizer. When the last one is done blowing liquid, remove everything. Booom - four sanitized kegs full of CO2.

1700006067923.png

I would put a gallon of water in the keg, add 10 psi, or so. Make sure the keg is dry and put it upside down in a bucket and see if water leaks out. Of, course, wouldn't fin a leak at the liquid poppet.

Back