Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaserchap

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have talked about the importance of aeration before adding the yeast. What're the best ways to do this?

I brewed my first batch yesterday, and no fermentation has started (I know I know, just wait) but I was wondering would pouring from my pot to my fermenter aerate enough? Or at least some?

As for the fermentation, I figure if there's no evidence in the airlock by late tomorrow I'd crack the lid and look for foam...if there's no foam I was going to restart on Monday (assuming when I cracked it monday there was still no signs of fermentation.)

Your yeast needs oxygen in the initial stages of fermentation, so usually if it's a slow starter it means you didn't aerate enough. When I aerate, I cover the hole and shake the bejezus out of it, and when I think I'm done, I shake some more

Simply pouring from the pot to the fermenter will certainly add some oxygen, but not that much. Don't stress about not having aerated it. It will be fine. Aeration is just one more tool to give the yeast every opportunity to do their job. Next time just use your brew paddle (or spoon) and mix the wort really well for 2 minutes after you move it to the fermenter. If you are fermenting in the carboy, you can shake the carboy for a couple minutes. Other people have used a sanitized paint paddle with their drill. Some use O2 stones. Finally, some just pour back and forth between the fermenting bucket and the kettle several times. As you can see there are many ways to do the job.

I've never had a problem with aeration (or at least, not having a fast start and full attenuation). What I do is probably overkill, but it is easy to replicate and quantifiable. I also think it is slightly safer with glass carboys than shaking. Pouring the wort (or siphoning but letting it drop into the fermenter) is a good start. When it is all in there, set a timer for 3 minutes. Start stirring (inverting your boil spoon works, especially those plastic ones that come from HBSs) fast. Try and maintain a good inverted whirlpool cone for the whole 3 min (not easy, so a few breaks of a couple of seconds is fine).

Next time just use your brew paddle (or spoon) and mix the wort really well for 2 minutes after you move it to the fermenter

BigB, didn't know there were any spoon stirrers out there besides me ;-)

I know a lot of people have talked about the importance of aeration before adding the yeast. What're the best ways to do this?

Good aeration can make up for lower pitching rates. Higher pitching rates can make up for poor aeration. So, doing both is the best. A 1/2 gal. starter, and 2-3 minutes of vigorous stirring, will do the trick everytime imo.

I usually just shake my fermenter after I pitch my yeast. Make sure to aerate. It really is pretty important if you care about quick fermentation.

Or, you can use a drop or less of olive oil in your yeast starter, prior to pitching. Read this report, it's quite interesting, and it works: http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

I usually just shake my fermenter after I pitch my yeast. Make sure to aerate. It really is pretty important if you care about quick fermentation.

Or, you can use a drop or less of olive oil in your yeast starter, prior to pitching. Read this report, it's quite interesting, and it works: http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

I just read this and I'm super interested. Have you tried this??

If so do you do anything to the olive oil before you add it to the stored yeast to make sure no nasties piggy back in?

I've only done it once, and it was on a commercial level. I was asked to do a guest tap for a local brewpub and the brewer told me about this so I did research. It worked for my beer, and for all of his. We did nothing to the olive oil. We collected a large slurry and added only a little bit of oil to the yeast.

For a 5 gallon batch, obviously we all here would suggest that everyone make sure that they make a starter, but I commonly over pitch. A 2L starter is an assumed 200-250 billion cell count, and I've pitched directly onto a full slurry on the bottom of my fermenter at home before and had fantastic results. I'd assume an upwards of 800 billion to 1.5 trillion cell count in that slurry.

The highest ratio that was used in the article was 1mg/25 billion cells. That's 8mg/2L starter, which is really hard to actually correctly pitch since it's so low of a quantity. You could use a tiny pipette, but chances are you still over pitching the suggested amount of oil.

With that said, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Especially if like me, you over pitch regularly. I probably use 500-800 billion on average, and 1 drop of olive oil should suffice.

I don't know if this is a best way to do it, but I cleaned and sanitized a gallon milk jug and cap, and siphoned my cooled wort into it till it was 2/3 or 3/4 full. Put the cap on, shake it vigorously, and pour it into the fermenter.

I'd guess this is overkill for the gravity of beers I've brewed (I'm only on my third batch now), but it seems effective. I got a very vigorous fermentation at 64 degrees or so after 4 hours, using Safale 033. I've not tried liquid yeast, so I can't comment on that.

Latest posts

Back