worms on grain sack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
so i recently took a first place award in a local homebrew comp and won a 50lb sack of american pale ale malt, so twice since i got it 2 days ago i found small worms on the outside of the sack im assuming wheat germ im guessing i have to toss it but not sure any feedback?

Burn the bag, but seriously I would get rid of it. Its not worth having a bug infection in the garage or even worse the house.

Yeah, the proteins breaks down you can scoop it when the boil is about to start :)!

Open the bag and pour the grain into 5 gallon pails. Look through some of it and see if there are more creepy crawlers. If you don't find any more, put the grain in a freezer for a week. That will kill off anything that might be hidden in the grain.

If it's teeming with worms, toss it out. Or give it away as chicken feed. They'll eat the worms, too.

so I opened the bag and dug pretty deep into it to search and didn't find anything so I'm guessing its good.

The weevil eggs, if there are any, are inside the grains so you won't see them. What you will see is the pupa or adult weeveil after it escapes. If what you see are pupae you need to do something quickly.

Back