Woodchuck-ish Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking4

Reaction score
5 gallons "Treetop" apple cider
5 cups packed light brown sugar
1 Wyeast British Ale II (1335) smackpack

Bring .75 gallons of cider to just boiling on the stove. Dissolve brown sugar a cup at a time. Add sweetened cider to the rest in a sanitized carboy. No need to let cool. Must temp is around 75-80 deg. at this point. Pitch yeast and affix air lock. Ferment 10 days. Rack to secondary for 3 days and cold crash 24 hours. Keg or bottle.

This was my first cider and it turned out awesome.

I likle the simple, straight forward recipe. What was your SG? How long did you age after secondary? Final ABV?

I have no idea about sg or abv. I simply didn't measure it. I am from the keep it simple camp. No pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, or acid blend as cider has been made long before those things were available. I can tell you the alcohol content is apparent after a only a pint. You can't read a news paper through it but my wife loves it abd my friends love it.

I didn't age it at all. Didn't back sweeten either. It was already carbonated from the primary (Ozarka water bottle). All together 14 days pitch to drink.

Latest posts

Back