Won't stop moving... safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spage

Reaction score
I have a partial mash pale ale that has been in the secondary for almost two weeks. The gravity has remained constant at 1.016 for three days, but I still see movement in the carboy (yeast, bits of hops floating up or down). A bubble will blub every 2-3 minutes. Recipe is as such:

1 LB Crystal 50-60 Grains @ 152 degrees
6 lbs Briess Gold LME
Danstar Windsor Yeast
1oz Simcoe 60 Min
0.75oz Columbus 15 Min
.75 Columbus 15 Min
0.5oz Columbus Dry

Is this safe to bottle? Should I give it more time? This is only my sixth batch but I haven't seen this happen before.

Thanks!!!

HE HE HE. <chuckles like a little girl?

My damn ESB is doing that.....Crash cooling will help. It's safe if the gravity is stable and where you expected it to be, just be careful NOT to suck them little bulbs up and bottle them...just extra junk in the bottle if you do.

Big K, thanks for your help! So just put the secondary in the fridge for a bit before bottling?

You can- that will help clear it up. But if you don't have a fridge it'll fit in, you can go ahead and bottle now. It sounds like co2 is off-gassing, and looking like fermentation activity. Maybe it recently got a little warmer where the fermenter is located, or maybe you're having a weather front coming. In any case, the beer is done.

The last 2 days have been warmer than previously... 70 degrees on the fermenter as opposed to 68 previously. I'll try putting the fermenter in the garage or fridge before bottling. Thanks!

Back