WLP644 Sacc Brux Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Any experience with this one? I had a vial and just put it in a Wee Heavy that finished fermenting too high (FG: 1.032). I tried wine yeast, I tried pitching US-05, nothing brought the gravity lower. So it was either try the 644 or dump it. Didn't know if 644 acted like a true Brett at all (guessing not) and would consume some unfermentables to lower the FG.

It is not a true brett, but in my experience it does attenuate quite aggressively, leaving a very dry beer. I'd suggest making a starter and pitching at high kreusen and give it at least a week to 10 days to dry out your beer.

I like to build up a big starter with it and use it in a pale ale or an IPA. I wish White Labs would sell it as a regular sacc strain and put some more yeast in the vial so I don't have to build up 3 starters before using it. Gives off good pineapple and mango aroma/flavor.

I like to build up a big starter with it and use it in a pale ale or an IPA. I wish White Labs would sell it as a regular sacc strain and put some more yeast in the vial so I don't have to build up 3 starters before using it. Gives off good pineapple and mango aroma/flavor.

Imperial Organic Yeast sells an analogous strain (Citrus #A20) with 200B cells. I thinks it retails for around $11, but IMO it's worth the extra cashish for the bigger pitch. I'm planning on using this strain soon for a hoppy farmhouse ale, so I'm hoping it hits close to the mark.

Imperial Organic Yeast sells an analogous strain (Citrus #A20) with 200B cells. I thinks it retails for around $11, but IMO it's worth the extra cashish for the bigger pitch. I'm planning on using this strain soon for a hoppy farmhouse ale, so I'm hoping it hits close to the mark.

I haven't heard of that brand, but not much more than White Labs especially if it has more cells. I would go for it if I was you, I like trying different yeasts. Not sure if I can get it here though. I do prefer to use White Labs because of the customer club as well though. The yeast lab thing they started is kind of fun also.

Back