WLP300 Starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i plan on brewing a RIS and want to use wlp300 to impart some banana notes. After reading through the forum I see people have different opinions on how to go about this. I have a few options and i was wondering which would be best...

Should I?,

1. Pitch starter size (about 4L) as given on Mr. Malty

2. Slightly under pitch and make a 3L starter, in hopes to increase the banana esters.

3. Use an even smaller starter and pitch Us-05 if I get a stuck fermentation or to finish things off.

Im in no rush to brew this immediately but would like to sooner than later since they take a little extra time

I see no danger of stalling with WLP300, even with an underpitch. It's a beast. Use a blowoff tube (or Fermcap-S) and keep it cool. I like option 2.

thats what I keep reading but ive never used the yeast so i didnt want to assume id be fine. Also i hear the banana esters only come through in wheat beers, any truth to this?

I use this yeast in my Hef and love it. Ferment in the low 60s and you will get clove a flavor, above 70-72 you should get more banana flavor

Toy4Rick

i usually ferment between 66-70 so i should be good there. out of curiosity how high is too high for this yeast? i dont want any clove im def looking for the banana. would under pitching help this or make no difference? i just dont want to ferment too high trying to get the banana esters and make my brew too hot and warming since im aiming for around 8 or 9 abv.

I really wouldn't go above 70. At 68 you'll get plenty of bananas without the other junk (heavy alcohol medicinal & sickly esters....yuck).

I would suggest about 68 to achieve a significant banana flavor also. However, I would take issue with fermenting higher as producing junk. At higher fermentation temps this yeast produces a bubblegum aroma that I think is as amazing as the banana aromas. I've had some intense bubblegum hefes that weren't hot so I would be really surprised if you started getting fusses from this yeast at 72 degrees.

However, I haven't brewed with this yeast so take my info with a grain of salt. I do have a starter working though so I'm about to change that soon. Good luck with your stout. I had a banana sundae stout made with wlp300 that was amazing so I have high hopes for your beer.

@ tytanium thanx i will make sure to keep the temp in line.

@ tarheel what did you do with your stout? im making a milk chocolate stout and hoping to get the banana from the wlp300 (altogether im thinking banana split). So id be really interested to know what methods you chose to get your brew to come out well and have all the right flavors. Did you underpitch, by how much?

So I brewed up my Imperial Banana Milk Chocolate Stout (original recipe) last night....and when I popped my starter open to decant....BAM!!! :ban: just like I wanted and had hoped for. It smelled like delicious banana pancakes. Given all the info I read and had shared with me on how beastly this yeast is, I only made a single 2L starter instead of stepping it up to 3L. Pitched as usual and this baby took off in less than 6 hrs with the krausen already breathing as it rises full steam ahead!! Its still early to say but so far im impressed and would recommend this "banana beast yeast" to others.

So Im a bit curious.... My yeast took off well and im definitely getting fermentation, carboy smells like pure bananas. But its been about 48 hours @ 66-70 and Im not seeing any sign of the krausen taking off like everyone says the strain does. I know its fermenting so theres no worry there. Im just wondering why im not seeing the blow off tube mandatory crazy fermentation others have had warned about. US05 has produced easily triple the krausen im seeing, which is a surprise. Anyone have any answers?

Back