White Labs PurePitch Next Generation Cell Count v. Underpitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
Like many homebrewers, I've been chasing the dragon of a prior fantastic brew. This one is a very banana-forward hefeweizen resulting from underpitched WLP 300 and a warm fermentation. In addition to sticker shock from $17 yeast, the new WLP300 PurePitch boasts a much higher cell count than before. I'm concerned that would affect the banana esters of yesterday's batch. I was not inclined to just pitch half the package in a 5 gal batch. Does anyone have recent results to compare?

I've always found one vile of WLP-300 per five gallons was perfect for a banana balanced hefe. Repitching I always get more clove.

The question is a little more nuanced than that. White labs has long abandoned the "vile" for the pure pitch pouch. On the surface the cell count starts out about the same, but in 2 months of age the pure pitch pouch has vastly more cells than the old vile. Even more complicated that that, the new pure pitch NEXT GEN packaging that the OP is talking about has 145B cells vs the previous 90-100B. The question is really about whether or not to hold back some of the new pack to avoid an overpitch.

It stings to pay 30% more for a pack and then discard 30% of the liquid, but beer excellence costs one way or another.

It stings to pay 30% more for a pack and then discard 30% of the liquid, but beer excellence costs one way or another.
I guess I should have just brewed 10 gal instead of 5 and split the package between both fermenters. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, that's close to what White Labs recommended; only pitch a portion of the pack vial and save the rest for later:

"I believe that the new packaging will actually help you know more about what your pitch rate really is. ... For reference, the previous classic HB packs were 35mL and would be propagated to a cell count of 2-2.8B cells/mL. This would range from batch to batch, and lot to lot as not all of them grow at the same rate. Now, the new package is 70mL and the cell count is 2.15B cells/mL everytime for all of the strains. Some people pitch their hefe's at ~3.5-4.5m cells/mL which, with the new packs you are able to do using the cap and would probably have enough for multiple batches. Let me know what other questions you have on this.

Cheers
Andre"

So I took a whiff this afternoon, and let me say:

Bananas.jpg

Recipe:
5 lbs white wheat
5lbs pilsner (using 3lbs pils, 2 lbs vienna next time)
1 oz hallertau 30 minute boil
yeast: WLP 300 as indicated, entire pack
71 degrees

Good luck to ya!
I'm fermenting a weizen with wlp3068 --- definitely hoping I got it all done right and I think the trick is 67-69F, and I roughly estimated the pitch.

I got the starter perfect. I hope the beer has the qualities of the starter. Yes I drank the finished starter beer.

Being a homebrewer with so many one-off batches is tough! Variables change likes it's nobody's business.

Other than a using a pack from the manufacturer, yeast pitching is seriously difficult to gauge, and even with a new pack, it can be simply an estimate...Let's just hope you can crack open a cold one after a success.

Back