WLP007 Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
I've never used WLP007 before but I want to give it a try for my IPAs in the future. What beers would you recommend brewing with this yeast for the first few generations before repitching later to an IPA? I'm looking for something with low gravity and that's tasty to start with.

I use 007 frequently for IPA and pitch it directly from a starter with no fermentation problems. However if you want to make a starter beer, just make a pale ale or ordinary bitter or something like that.

This is a great yeast for IPA, especially west coast style. Very neutral flavor and aroma if fermented in the lower range (65), high attenuation to leave the beer dry, and good flocculation for excellent clarity.

I do bitters and smash beers with it. I made a killer arrogant bastard clone with it from a harvested cake of Maris otter/simcoe smash.

I use it often to make a killer very simple ESB - just Maris Otter and a bit of toasted Maris Otter.

007 is an extremely versatile strain, I'm using it in a Russian Imperial Stout that I brewed yesterday

Any English will be a good starter for the yeast. Like other have said its very versatile and can be used in loads of beer styles for sure.

I really like it in English Bitters myself

Cheers
Jay

I like it best in High Gravity beers(RIS & Barleywine). I used it an IPA once and didn't really care for the result. It's certainly a beast and Floc's like crazy.

I have used it in alot of American styles, amber, pale ale, ipa, brown, stout, porter, cream ale. The cream ale I did an 11 gallon batch and split it, and did half with wlp001 and half with wlp007. I greatly preferred the flavor and mouthfeel of the batch with 007.

I used it in a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone and it was fantastic! I actually use it in a lot of IPAs, apas, and brown ales as well.

Latest posts

Back