WLP002....79% attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHulen

Reaction score
First time using English ale yeast. Surprised to see it down to 1.012 from 1.059. I mashed at 152 single infusion, used a big starter, and used pure oxygen. Fermented at 68 degrees steady for 10 days.

I tasted a sample and I love it. This might be my go to yeast from now on, because it seems that it can attenuate if you handle it properly. When I want it sweeter I can used mash temp to dial it in. It may be more controllable than a more attenuative strain like WLP007.

That is very high attenuation for that strain. More typically it is about 64% attenuative. Did you mash for 90 minutes or longer? Or did you by chance dry hop the bejeezus out of this beer? Hops have enzymes and can convert some complex sugars to more easily fermentable ones -- this is commonly called the "hop creep" effect. Otherwise I confess I'm baffled by your result. Unless maybe your hydrometer is way off? :)

60 minute mash...dry hopped with one once of cascade. Beer was at 1.014 when I added the hops.

I can tell from the taste that it’s dry....tastes like a 1.012 beer

152 isn’t all that high and 60 mins is a long mash. That will make highly fermentable word on home brew scale, unless we are talking big beers. We see these over attenuation issues over and over, but a 60 minute mash is overkill on our scale. But hey, if you like the beer, then success!! Next time try a higher temp for 30-45 min.

I've heard numerous people getting about 80% with 002. The data from WL is skewed. As it is for 565.

Back