Wlp 545?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerswimmer

Reaction score
What have been your experiences with WLP 545? There isn't too much info on it other than being from the Ardennes region and being a strong attenuator. What flavors have you gotten at different temps with this Has anyone figured out the brewery it comes from? Any info is welcome since there isn't much on it, thanks!

Not much info, huh? Well I brewed a 1.072OG quad on Friday and pitched a 2L starter @68F. Let it sit at 68 ambient for 3 days when the ferment slowed a bit, Monday I added 3lbs of dark candi syrup to get the gravity up to a calculated 1.1. Yesterday I bumped the ambient slowly up to 78F and it's smelling great. I'm hoping to get the FG to around 1.01 and then bottle with some dark candi syrup for the priming sugar. This will sit until March before it goes into the beer fridge.

This yeast is reportedly from Huyghe, which is the Delirium Tremens brewery. You should be able to find that beer in most places to see what the yeast character is like.

I like this yeast because it's pretty spicy. I brewed a Christmas beer last year using this yeast fermented @ 67F with a teaspoon of spruce extract and Chinook hops, so it came out a tiny bit pine tree-like.

I've got an 8 month old Dubbel on tap that it just demolished with attenuation. It took it from 1.069 all the way down to 1.002. I pitched at 64*, then slowly raised it up to 72* over the course of a week by about a degree a day.

At first it didn't have a ton of yeast character but as it's aged the flavors are really starting to round out. I used this yeast because it got great reviews with dark belgian ales and I'd definitely use it again.

It's starting to slow down already, I'll take a hydro sample and taste it(finally:)) tomorrow. I see no reason why this won't be at FG before too long!

It's at 1.008 right now. I'll give it another 2 days, then into the fridge to cold crash. Smells of fruit, spices, and alcohol. Tastes of spices, then fruit, and alcohol. More spices than Chimay, my normal yeast, but a little less fruit. So far so good:rockin:

It finished at 1.006, smelled pretty good, couldn't have a taste though. It's in bottles with some champagne yeast. I did make a starter and added a cup of trub to see if I can get some healthy yeast from this to re-use again. I guess I should brew up a Nocturnum to see how close I can get:)

ETA: It's been in bottles for a week now. I tried one yesterday and it's crazy tasty for being so young! I can see this being my new house yeast :)

Had one of the quads last night. It was about 75% carbed. It might be one of the best quads I've ever made. Extremely fruity. A little spice, good malt, not much alcohol, and a touch of sweetness at the finish. Superb

I will absolutely be making more with this yeast. I have an amber that is about to be cold crashed. As soon as it's done I'll be harvesting the yeast to make more quads.

I brewed a Blonde(Fr) with this and it had some amazing fruit flavors as I sampled it into the keg.
I started at 63 kept it there for ~12 hrs, let it rise to 66 and held for ~8hrs, let it rise to 68 and held for ~12 hrs, let if free rise to 85(took ~9hrs) held at 85 for 5 days and cold crashed it.

this was a 10 gallon batch fermented is a sanke keg, with the sensor taped to the outside of the keg, just below the weld

precarbonation samples tasted amazing, this could be my favorite Belgian strain yet

Just bottled my amber and had a small glass to sip on. The first thing that came to mind was Chimay. Very fruity. Spices, sugars, a touch of sweetness. The sweetness is nice since it finished so low.

I saved a cup of trub to grow up what yeast is still viable. This might just be the only Belgian yeast I use for the foreseeable future!

Love 545, last year I did a Belgian blonde, golden strong, and oak aged dark strong with it. It's dry, spicy, but doesn't get that tart/sour that many strains do.

My golden strong came in just under 9%, and drank like 5% ABV.

Back