witbier recipie? (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
ok so what specifically makes a wit verses a wizen? should i use malted or unmalted wheat? is wit fermented like an ale or a lager?

think similar to shocktop

A witbeir is different from a german weizen in several different ways. First, the witbeir does have a bit of unmalted wheat. It adds more haziness and a different flavor than malted wheat does. Also, it is fermented with different yeasts. The weizen use german wheat beer yeast and the witbeir uses a belgian wit yeast. Both are ales.

Also, a witbier tends to have spices added to it, such as coriander, chamomile, citrus zest. If you do a search in the recipe forums, you can find a lot of good Wit's. If not, send me a PM, I have a great witbeir recipe that won 3rd place in a local comp.

I brewed a Wit Kit...but added some extra grain to.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3502

I upgraded to the WLP400, and added .5 lbs of light wheat grain. This beer turned out great.

It is a very simple kit. Very drinkable and smooth. The color is not a true Wit because of the extract, but it is one of my favorite beers.

If you don't want to buy the kit, just copy the recipe or customize it and buy at your LHBS.

Patrick

Back