Witbier but without spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lang

Reaction score
Saw this Witbier recipe but what's interesting is the omission of all spices whilst incorporating Pacific Jade for the spice notes.

5lb Pilsner Malt
5lb Unmalted Wheat
0.5 lb Oats
0.5lb Acidulated malt
2oz Pacific Jade (20IBUs 10mins and remaining at flameout)
Wyeast 3944

The total IBUs is about 22. Would that be too high for this style or is that to compensate for lack of spice additions.

Thoughts?

More like a wheat IPA? Spices are part of the Witbier profile, may still be good. Just not technically correct, but rules are made to be broken

Sounds interesting to me. I haven't tried a beer with Pacific Jade but supposedly it tastes like orange citrus and black pepper, so......

Go for it. I would drink it.

I get more of a dill flavor out of Pacific Jade. I am a fan of letting the yeast (especially Belgian yeast) do its thing and see what it can contribute on its own.

If you feel it's lacking orange, coriander or other "spice" flavors, you can always add some of those at the end of fermentation, as you would a dry hop. Use some fresh orange zest, freshly ground coriander (preferably oval seeds, Indian variety, not the round ones, they taste like celery) and perhaps a dash of black pepper and a smidgen of cloves.

For that yeast to show most character, ferment toward the warmer side of the range, like 72-76F. You could start lower, say 66F, then ramp up as soon as 20-30% of attenuation has been reached. Higher temps tend to accentuate esters over cloves, although cloves are never overpowering with this yeast.

Make sure to prepare a yeast starter a week ahead of brewing, to allow a few days of cold crashing in the fridge.

I get more of a dill flavor out of Pacific Jade. I am a fan of letting the yeast (especially Belgian yeast) do its thing and see what it can contribute on its own.

In the past I too have tasted dill from Pacific Jade, and Sorachi Ace! But recently that seems to have been solved. I chalk the off flavors at the time up to those specific harvests (2013-2015), handling, and storage.

It should be fine. It's a wheat beer using a wit yeast. Your IBU's might be a tad high to let the yeast do the talking. Depends what your goals are.

In the past I too have tasted dill from Pacific Jade, and Sorachi Ace! But recently that seems to have been solved. I chalk the off flavors at the time up to those specific harvests (2013-2015), handling, and storage.

Actually, you are right. It was Sorachi Ace that I was thinking about. I think I have some Pacific Jade that I was going to use in a Saison but I haven't yet.

Back