Wheaty McHopface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lackluster

Reaction score
After a few years hiatus from brewing, quarantine has brought me back to the hobby. I couldn't be happier. I just finished bottling an ESB and I want to knock out something else while I still have momentum.

I've been considering making a beer that goes against conventional wisdom and I've read articles telling me NOT to do exactly what I want to do (but will probably do anyways). That said I've had commercial/brewpub beers that are similar and I expect some of you have tried to make something similar as well.

Basically, the idea is to use a Witbier grain bill and overall style guidelines, with American hops (including late additions) and Kveik instead of the traditional hops and yeasts.

I like beers with substantial amounts of wheat, Belgian Wits in particular. I like the maltiness, breadiness, body, colour, haze, and crispness. I don't really care about the spices so much, despite their being integral to the Belgian style. I also like the citrus, grapefruit, and orange flavours/aromas of some American hops.

The idea here would be to use a conventional Wit base, with style appropriate IBUs, augmented with late addition American hops to (re)introduce some citrus notes. Fermenting with Voss Kveik would be a convenience due to the high ambient temperatures here, but it should also produce some citrus esters of its own. Admittedly, I've never used Kveik but it sounds ideal for fermenting in the summer with little by ways of temperature control.

Here is the recipe I'm considering. I'd love some feedback.

BTW, thanks for being such a great resource over the years. I've learned so much here.

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
| Vitals    |                    |
|-----------|--------------------|
| Volume    | 25 L / 6.6 Gallons |
| OG        | 1.050              |
| FF        | 1.011              |
| ABV       | 5.1%               |
| IBU       | 20                 |
| Mash      | 65 °C / 149 °F     |
| Boil Time | 60 min             |

| Grains amount          | Type                 | SRM     |
|------------------------|----------------------|---------|
| 2.72 kg / 6 lb (46.2%) | Weyermann Pilsner    | 1.7 SRM |
| 2.27 kg / 5 lb (38.5%) | Wheat Flaked         | 1.6 SRM |
| 0.45 kg / 1 lb (7.7%)  | Weyermann Acidulated | 1.8 SRM |
| 0.45 kg / 1 lb (7.7%)  | Flakes/Rolled Oats   | 1.4 SRM |

| Hops                   | Variety       | Type                                      |
|------------------------|---------------|-------------------------------------------|
| 28 g / 1.0 oz (16 IBU) | Cascade 5.5%  | First Wort                                |
| 14 g / 0.5 oz (2 IBU)  | Amarillo 8.5% | Aroma (30 min hopstand @ 80 °C / 176 °F ) |
| 14 g / 0.5 oz (1 IBU)  | Cascade 5.5%  | Aroma (30 min hopstand @ 80 °C / 176 °F ) |
| 14 g / 0.5 oz (0 IBU)  | Amarillo 8.5% | Dry Hop (3 days during fermentation)      |
| 14 g / 0.5 oz (0 IBU)  | Cascade 5.5%  | Dry Hop (3 days during fermentation)      |

| Yeast amount | Strain               | Temperature             |
|--------------|----------------------|-------------------------|
| 1 pkg        | Lallemand Voss Kveik | 25 - 32 °C / 77 - 90 °F |

To me, that much acidulated malt would make the beer far too tart (especially with the kveik yeast and those citrusy hops) and I get a hint of lemon from wheat anyway. Otherwise, I really like it!

Ooof, you're right. I probably overdid it. I was tweaking it with the intention of bringing the pH down a bit more and lost sight of the overall percentages. Though it seems there is some debate on what the max percent acidulated would be, I'll definitely knock it back by 1/2 lb or so. I don't mind a bit of tartness, but I don't want it to be unbalanced.

Thanks for the feedback Yooper.

Back