Alabama Wish You Were Beer Huntsville, AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskey

Reaction score
I moved to Huntsville in November and was disappointed that there really wasn't a good homebrew store in the area. Luckily, "Wish You Were Beer" opened a few weeks ago at Campus 805 and I couldn't be happier! Grain by the sack, White Labs and Wyeast, Nice hop selection that is actually stored in a freezer and not on peg hooks at room temp. Check them out if you haven't already. :mug:

I'm just messing with ya. I was there recently and tried out a few of the local breweries. I see you are from Daphne. Fairhope Brewing is another one of my favorites. Take The Causeway IPA is AMAZING!

I'm just messing with ya. I was there recently and tried out a few of the local breweries. I see you are from Daphne. Fairhope Brewing is another one of my favorites. Take The Causeway IPA is AMAZING!

Yeah, I miss Daphne, I used to do a lot of saltwater fishing but none of that up here. Guess I'll have to go bass fishing instead. Hopefully we'll be moving back down there in a couple years. I'm really happy that Fairhope brewing ended up being successful. The first few times I had their beer it wasn't very good but I think they have it together now. Are there any breweries near Andalusia? I've been there a few times for work but dont really know much about it.

The closest is Folklore Brewery and Meadery in Dothan (1.25hrs away). I've had one of their beers, but haven't made a visit to the brewery yet.

MY GOD MAN! Why would you need to MAKE beer in that magnificent place? You have Straight to Ale, Yellow Hammer, and Salty Nut Breweries....and right down the road in Madison is Rocket Republic Brewing.

Not to mention Old Black Bear, Blue Pants, Below the Radar...

But to OP's question, yeah, I'll be amazed if Wish You Were Beer's extended selection lasts. Huntsville is a town of engineers, we shop online.

Not to mention Old Black Bear, Blue Pants, Below the Radar...

But to OP's question, yeah, I'll be amazed if Wish You Were Beer's extended selection lasts. Huntsville is a town of engineers, we shop online.

Yeah, screw the local guy right? Engineers are too intelligent to buy anything in town I guess.

Can nitrogen and co2 be blended accurately using regulators only? Huntsville does have some excellent breweries and brews. I have just started making nitrogenated beers and stopped by Liquor Express with their 105 beer taps to try some true nitro beers.
I was very disappointed unfortunately. I ordered a nitro stout and after she poured it, I did notice some beautiful cascading (I call it a beergasm) but not to the bottom of glass and not what a nitrogenated beer should look like. I asked if I could look at their setup especially for nitro and they were apprehensive but allowed it.
I inquired about a gas blender and was told they don't use one. Huh. They use regulators to mix the 100% nitrogen with the 100% co2. Well I have researched and spoken to people who know pressures, volumes etc...and all agree that you cannot get a consistent 75/25 or 60/40 blend using regulators. The pressure in co2 versus nitrogen are extremely different and a consistent blend is next to impossible. Does anyone know how it can be accomplished?

Wish You Were Beer is OK but you have to buy the whole pound of base malt even though a recipe may only call for a portion of a pound (e.g. 8.5 lb). If they sell base malt by the pound from bulk what difference does it make? I don’t buy the whole pound of grain at Whole Foods why at WYWB? I can see special grains that may not move as well but base malts? Oh well.

There is also limited selection of specialty malt but I like that you can shop online: https://wywb-homebrew.myshopify.com/

For an occasional quick requirement like “oh crap I’m out of PBW” or “there goes another hydrometer” they’re ok. Plus I get to drink while I shop.

...and don’t forget Green Bus and Mad Malts (Brew Stooges). All of the local breweries have offered to sell base malts by the pound.

I moved to Huntsville in November and was disappointed that there really wasn't a good homebrew store in the area. Luckily, "Wish You Were Beer" opened a few weeks ago at Campus 805 and I couldn't be happier! Grain by the sack, White Labs and Wyeast, Nice hop selection that is actually stored in a freezer and not on peg hooks at room temp. Check them out if you haven't already. :mug:
I need to find this place. We moved to Grant back in June . Setting up my brewcart/lab really soon. I already have most of a set up . Grain mill on the way (tuesday)

i have been to WYWB a couple of times, but didn't notice their HB selection, but i did get a growler of a nice Belgium. I'll have to get back down there and check it out. I'm in the north east corner in Bridgeport, no homebrewers up this way.

There are two WYWB locations. One on 72 in Madison and one on Clinton in Campus 805 between Yellowhammer and Salty Nut Breweries. The Campus 805 location has Homebrew supplies and ingredients.

Is WYWB still in business? I bought quite a supply of grains when I was back up north at my old LHBS ,but passed on yeasts because they either didn't have the ones I wanted for the recipes I filled or they needed refrigeration and we had a long drive home and i didn't want to chance it.

Is WYWB still in business? I bought quite a supply of grains when I was back up north at my old LHBS ,but passed on yeasts because they either didn't have the ones I wanted for the recipes I filled or they needed refrigeration and we had a long drive home and i didn't want to chance it.

Pretty sure both stores are still open, but I think they got out of the HB supply business.

if they got out of the HB supply business, what are they doing...just another beer store?

if they got out of the HB supply business, what are they doing...just another beer store?

Most folks buy HB supplies online and it didn’t make sense for him to take up floor space when it didn’t sell enough. I think they do more events at the Campus 805 store now.. live music and such. And they keep a great selection of beer on tap so it’s fun to just hang out.

Pearly’s just around the corner on Governors sells a limited supply of home brew/wine making equipment. They have dry yeast, some hops, a small selection of grain, cleaning supplies, some minerals for building water, etc. They’re mostly a health food store but they have the occasional last minute bib or bob needed.

Pearly’s just around the corner on Governors sells a limited supply of home brew/wine making equipment. They have dry yeast, some hops, a small selection of grain, cleaning supplies, some minerals for building water, etc. They’re mostly a health food store but they have the occasional last minute bib or bob needed.
I still havent made it up there yet. Im afraid I'll go crazy and buy everything.

I still havent made it up there yet. Im afraid I'll go crazy and buy everything.

“Everything” is not saying much in Pearly’s. I am hoping they have some Simpsons Dark Crystal when I stop in next week. It’s hit or miss with them. ...but good folks.

“Everything” is not saying much in Pearly’s. I am hoping they have some Simpsons Dark Crystal when I stop in next week. It’s hit or miss with them. ...but good folks.
Maybe im being more hopeful than necessary . Its one of those "you say theres a LHBS?...and its close?" that I cant pass up. Let me know what day/time youre going. PM me.

So, I live just across the state line in Tennessee, went down to pearlys to grab a few things, mostly base malt. When I got home I realized that the essential oils they had in the little humidifier thing had permeated the plastic bag the base malt were in. I brew the following weekend, coffee porter and partigyle esq mild brown ale. I could still get a faint whiff of the scent 15 minutes into the boil. By the end of the boil I couldn't detect it, but just wanted to give potential shoppers a heads up.
That being said, the lady behind the counter was friendly and helpful, And over all it was a good experience. Not sure how often I will get to make it down there...

And FWIW there's a guy in Lynchburg that sells some homebrew stuff. Doesn't carry a lot, but can order most anything for you...

So, I live just across the state line in Tennessee, went down to pearlys to grab a few things, mostly base malt. When I got home I realized that the essential oils they had in the little humidifier thing had permeated the plastic bag the base malt were in. I brew the following weekend, coffee porter and partigyle esq mild brown ale. I could still get a faint whiff of the scent 15 minutes into the boil. By the end of the boil I couldn't detect it, but just wanted to give potential shoppers a heads up.
That being said, the lady behind the counter was friendly and helpful, And over all it was a good experience. Not sure how often I will get to make it down there...

And FWIW there's a guy in Lynchburg that sells some homebrew stuff. Doesn't carry a lot, but can order most anything for you...

That’s too bad. I have only bought specialty malts at Pearly’s. No problems so far.

as local as Pearlys is to me (20 minutes) my first visit was just to look , the second to get a few things ...yeast and a couple parts and tools if you can call them that. Their malt prices arent exactly what I would call competitive but I suppose if need be the cost of convenience. The bad thing is they arent open on weekends when I generally would be brewing and find I would be in need of something. I do agree though they need a better separation of sorts between the brewing supplies and essential oils...like a separate building .

Hey buddy , have you been to pearlys lately? I was there twice in a couple weeks, last visit was thursday when the storms were forcing us to shut down at work. , they expanded and organized their HB section .and the prices are actually competitive with online prices.

Hey buddy , have you been to pearlys lately? I was there twice in a couple weeks, last visit was thursday when the storms were forcing us to shut down at work. , they expanded and organized their HB section .and the prices are actually competitive with online prices.
I have never been in there before. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks for the heads up!

I have never been in there before. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks for the heads up!
i asked about lactose last time i was there, they were out but after i explained what its for they put in an order . they called me friday saying they got 4 - 1 lb bags in. i'm buying 2 . theyre super helpful and if you need something not on the shelf, they'll order it .

Back