Wish me luck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a pack of Imperial House yeast Jan 14 so decided to make a starter. Something tells me I’m going to regret my decision to put a 2L starter in a 2L flask. I also didn’t think about how much yeast itself was going to raise the volume level.

IMG_5696.JPG

Fingers crossed for ya. “Should” be ok on the stir plate. At least I’ve notice krausen doesn’t seem to get very high as long as a good rotation is maintained.

Good luck! I don't use it myself because I don't want it in my beer but you could pick up some of that FermCap to prevent it from foaming up too bad. Other people seem to like it.

Let us know how the beer turns out. My LHBS just started carrying it, and I've been itching to try it but holding back because of the price. If it's good and something that can carry over a few generations might be worth it.

Let us know how the beer turns out. My LHBS just started carrying it, and I've been itching to try it but holding back because of the price. If it's good and something that can carry over a few generations might be worth it.

Price of fermcap or Imperial yeast?

Price of fermcap or Imperial yeast?
Lol, the yeast. Fermcap is $2.50 at most. Dry Nottingham (my go-to) is average $4.50-7.00 a packet around here, and I can keep a clean one going for about 5 fermentations. Wyeast is upwards of $9, and I haven't had good luck with it. I've heard some good things about the Imperial yeasts but am hesitant to try them.

That sounds odd. Can you elaborate?
Do you make (yeast) starters?

I tried a couple of times, and either I'm a dunce or the yeast just didn't want to work. It was a couple years ago. Since then I use dry yeast exclusively, and re-pitch over about 4-5 batches before starting with a fresh packet (depending on beer style).

That sounds odd. Can you elaborate?
Do you make (yeast) starters?

That is odd. I use WYeast almost exclusively and have even gotten a recent shipment that partially froze. Everything has worked very well for me; I will say that I always make and overbuild starter, and typically go 4-6 rebuilds before replacing.

i have been very happy with imperial yeast. i use imperial for 80% of my beer's now.

I tried a couple of times, and either I'm a dunce or the yeast just didn't want to work. It was a couple years ago.
"Tried a couple times..." making starters? Or pitch directly into a batch?

There's so much selection in liquid yeast, it's almost impossible not to use them.

"Tried a couple times..." making starters? Or pitch directly into a batch?

There's so much selection in liquid yeast, it's almost impossible not to use them.

Making starters, in the sense of starting them the day before brewing. I do now make "vitality" starters, simply pitching dry yeast or slurry onto cooled wort on the day of brewing, about an hour or so before the wort goes in the fermenter; I have had excellent results with that. Yes I am aware it isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Making starters, in the sense of starting them the day before brewing.
Well, if the pack is fresh, perhaps enough time, but 24-48 hours is generally recommended, on a stir plate. I've had older yeast that really needed a week to get going again, then step up for another 3-7 days. It's as good as new at that point.
I do now make "vitality" starters, simply pitching dry yeast or slurry onto cooled wort on the day of brewing, about an hour or so before the wort goes in the fermenter
The older rehydration instructions from Safale include the mysterious line, after the initial 'let sit for 10-15 minutes' rehydration, stir for 30 minutes! People (me included) either stirred for a mere 30 seconds ('typo' or 'come on already, are you serious?'). At some point the realization came through that it wasn't a typo at all. 30 minutes was correct, on a stir plate that is! That's sort of what you're doing.

For liquid yeast packs or pitching from saved slurries, vitality starters of 4 hours seem to be more in line. Then pitch the whole thing.

Back