Too Hugh (the OG not me)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was cleaning up the grain bin I found 4 pounds of 2 row. 3 pounds of DME pils, 1 pound of flaked maze and for some reason that I can't seem to remember i found 1 pound of rice syrup solids. I wanted to use up the old stock and get ready for the Märzen I wanted to brew next month

I punched the the numbers into Brewfather and came up with an OG of 1.053. Great thinks I. I nice summer beer while I lager the Märzen. I adjusted the water volume for a 17 litres ( 4.5 gal.) in the Brewfather app

Here is what happened: 4.5 gallon batch to be brewed so I could fermenting in corny keg. Using the "scraps" from last year.
4lbs. 2 row
3 lbs. DME
1 lb. flaked maize
(here8s where I think I went off the rails)
! lb. Rice syrup solids

Mashed in at 65c (149f) for ! hour. Added 14 grams(1/2 oz.) Magnum 14.5 aa hops at his time
At ten minutes left in the boil I added 28 grams (1 0z.) Saaz 3.4 aa

Chilled wort then added Lutra dried KVeik yeast.

When I took a hydrometer reading after wort had cooled I got a reading of 1.076! I have never got any reading like this before. My questions are has anyone brewed a beer with this high of a reading, will it me drinkable and how strong is this going to be is going to be an 8% beer like the app predicts.

Maybe your mash efficiency was better. But how did you figure the rice syrup solids? That's essentially pure sugar isn't it. Though mostly maltose and glucose?

I came up with 1.067 OG with 70% efficiency. 80% would get you 1.071. But some of the fermentable I picked might have been different extraction numbers than what you picked for the 2 row and maize.

And there is always the question of how much wort did you actually wind up with after the boil.

That does seem high. At 4.5 gallons, DME would add about 9-10 points per pound, the Rice Solids about the same, and the 2 Row would add about 7. By my rough calculations, it should come out in the low to mid 1.060's, maybe 1.063-1.065, depending on the efficiency of the 4 pounds of 2 Row. I plugged the numbers into Brewer's Friend as a cross-check, and it says 1.063, based on what I selected just to get a ballpark figure. As hotbeer suggested, these numbers are only ballpark since we don't know a lot of details, but should be close; somewhere between 1.063 and 1.067. 1 thing to watch now is hops level. If you got a really high OG, that will affect the hop flavor. I'd dry-hop it and call it an IPA, at that level.

That does seem high. At 4.5 gallons, DME would add about 9-10 points per pound, the Rice Solids about the same, and the 2 Row would add about 7. By my rough calculations, it should come out in the low to mid 1.060's, maybe 1.063-1.065, depending on the efficiency of the 4 pounds of 2 Row. I plugged the numbers into Brewer's Friend as a cross-check, and it says 1.063, based on what I selected just to get a ballpark figure. As hotbeer suggested, these numbers are only ballpark since we don't know a lot of details, but should be close; somewhere between 1.063 and 1.067. 1 thing to watch now is hops level. If you got a really high OG, that will affect the hop flavor. I'd dry-hop it and call it an IPA, at that level.
I checked OG 3 times hydrometer and refractometer I think it wee the Rice syrup solids

Back