Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I did a 4 gallon batch Brew Day. It was a Pilsner smash with Saaz hops. OG was 1.046. 60 min boil with hop additions 1oz at 45 min, 1oz at 30 min, and 2oz whirlpooled for 20 min at 160F (I overshot my chilling, meant to be 15 min at 170F). The hop AA is 3.5%. I pitched a 4 month old pouch (no starter) of Imperial Urkel at 68F into a 5 gallon keg for a pressurized fermentation. It's been a full day since pitch and no activity. Is Urkel a slow starter? Since this is a pressurized fermentation, is it going to take a bit longer to "see" since the keg will have to pressurize to my spunding valve's setting (15psi)?

I want to open the keg to see if there is a krausen, but Obi Won tells me to trust my feelings......(don't open it, ride it out). I've pitched on slurry in the past for a pressurized fermentation and they took off FAST!, so I'm kinda caught off guard here. For a fresh (yeah I know, 4 months for Imperial) pack of liquid yeast, how long is the lag time for a pressure ferment in a vessel where you can't see it like a keg, conical, or other stainless vessel? Thanks.

On another note......for a pressurized ferment with lager yeast, is a D-rest still recommended? If so, when, what temp (thinking 72F), and for how long? I have a carboy heater I can wrap around the keg with a controller. Thanks again.

My recent (cucumber) pilsner with Urkel was indeed very slow to start. But I started quite cool at 48°F. Dunno what to say about pressure fermentation though.

Back