Wiring Help for New RPi Brew Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootonius

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm hoping one of the experienced industrial control guys could help me out on my wiring design. I've seen some awesome drawings posted on here by doug293cz and others! I have some electronics experience (I was an ET in the Coast Guard in a former life! LOL), but not to the level that I feel comfortable doing the design myself.
I plan to build a basic system now and expand it over the next year and I'm hoping to incorporate that into my panel build. I'm going with an RPi 4 B (CraftBeerPi) for the controller (5VDC), so it will only have a single switch to power on the system with a lamp showing that it's on.
My brewery is a single vessel system, with one 5500W element, but I'd like the ability to add a HLT down the road also with a second 5500W element. I currently have only one pump (120VDC), but I want to allow for a second one later. I will have 2 temp probes for now (BK and MT), but want to add a third to my fermentation system down the road. I'll be adding a 240V 30A circuit (4 wire) to my panel to compensate as well.
I'm sure I'm missing something here, so please feel free to jump in! I've added the CraftBeerPi diagram I'm working with and a simple diagram I pulled from someone else's post on here that seems close to what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance!!
CraftBeerPi Wiring.pngDSPR300 1-Pump 1-Element 240V rev-2.PNG

I haven't designed for computer driven. I tend to put safety interlocking functionality in my designs (so they won't turn on if pump or heater switches are on, RIMS element won't turn on unless RIMS pump is on, controller powers up before elements can be enabled, can't enable both 5500W elements in a 30A system, etc.) These are hardware interlocks in my designs, but they usually have to be software interlocks in computer driven controllers. The interlocks can be implemented with hardware in computer driven controllers, but then the hardware in the controller has all the complexity of a manual control design, AND a computer controlled design.

There are other design considerations that I don't have to worry about with what I do, such as having to implement the capability for both manual or automatic control.

Finally, I'm not in a position to provide software assistance or troubleshooting. And, each controller design will require its own custom programming to configure the base software platform for the specific design.

The basic approach to converting one of my designs to computer control is to replace any switch you want automated with a relay controlled by the computer, and replace PID's with PWM outputs from the computer.

Doug

I haven't designed for computer driven. I tend to put safety interlocking functionality in my designs (so they won't turn on if pump or heater switches are on, RIMS element won't turn on unless RIMS pump is on, controller powers up before elements can be enabled, can't enable both 5500W elements in a 30A system, etc.) These are hardware interlocks in my designs, but they usually have to be software interlocks in computer driven controllers. The interlocks can be implemented with hardware in computer driven controllers, but then the hardware in the controller has all the complexity of a manual control design, AND a computer controlled design.

There are other design considerations that I don't have to worry about with what I do, such as having to implement the capability for both manual or automatic control.

Finally, I'm not in a position to provide software assistance or troubleshooting. And, each controller design will require its own custom programming to configure the base software platform for the specific design.

The basic approach to converting one of my designs to computer control is to replace any switch you want automated with a relay controlled by the computer, and replace PID's with PWM outputs from the computer.

Doug
I completely understand, Doug. Please know that you've been a huge help just from the past drawings you've posted! If you look at my latest in the CBPi thread, you'll probably recognize some elements of your handiwork.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/craftbeerpi-raspberry-pi-software.569497/page-46

Back