Winexpert selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstime

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making the winexpert selection red wine? I'm currently making the New Zealand Pinot Noir. I'm just curious how this will turn out. I'm hoping this wine will turn out well enough no-one will know the difference.

Has anyone tried making the winexpert selection red wine? I'm currently making the New Zealand Pinot Noir. I'm just curious how this will turn out. I'm hoping this wine will turn out well enough no-one will know the difference.

I have made many of the WE kits.
Pinot Noir (added 3 oz hungarian oak cubes) turned out well.
Brunello is spectacular
Eclipse Pinot Noir is still aging, but is on its way to greatness in another year.
Barolo is thin, but did not have skins.

Higher end kits, usually taste more like commercial wine, especially after bulk aging for a good deal of time.

What do you mean bulk aging.

Letting the entire batch age in whatever container you have chosen under an airlock for awhile before bottling it.

eta: I haven't made that particular kit. This last year I did order and make the Oregon Pinot Noir and two of the Pacific Quartet kits. All three are excellent so far.

I have made many of the WE kits.

Pinot Noir (added 3 oz hungarian oak cubes) turned out well.

Brunello is spectacular

Eclipse Pinot Noir is still aging, but is on its way to greatness in another year.

Barolo is thin, but did not have skins.

Higher end kits, usually taste more like commercial wine, especially after bulk aging for a good deal of time.

When you say you have made WE kits and they turned out well. How would you compare them to a commercial grade wine.

When you say you have made WE kits and they turned out well. How would you compare them to a commercial grade wine.

With Wine kits, you really do get what you pay for.

In my experience with WE, the cheapest kits ($65-80ish), I get a wine that is very much in the $5-7/bottle quality. Not bad, not great. They are not complex, but very drinkable and drinkable right away. These remind me of the Barefoot wines, or Two Buck Chuck. They are fine for everyday, and better than many boxed wines or jug wines.

The Eclipse kits, ($150+) make a wine very much like a $20+ bottle and age very well. They are complex, deep, and very good to excellent.

The 'in the middle' ones have given pretty good wine to us, comparable to $10-15/bottle type of wines. These are good enough to share with friends, and have some complexity to them. They age fairly well.

Thanks for your example.
As I wrote in another section I am making the winexpert selection New Zealand Pinot noir. It cost about $150. Before the Black Friday discount and full kit purchase discount. I'm hoping when all said and done as long as it's made correctly no one will be able to pick out the wine I made from other choices.

Back