wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert8891

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of grape wine with a SG of 1.132 & a FG of 1.014, going to keep 2 gal here( a little sweet) & finish the rest to 1. or less . Do I need a whole pk(5grams) of ec1118 yeast to restart it or adjust it to 3 grams for 3 gal

I have a 5 gal batch of grape wine with a SG of 1.132 & a FG of 1.014, going to keep 2 gal here( a little sweet) & finish the rest to 1. or less . Do I need a whole pk(5grams) of ec1118 yeast to restart it or adjust it to 3 grams for 3 gal

It will not go to 1.000 or less if you started at 1.132. That is over the alcohol tolerance of even EC1118.

Last batch had SG of 1.134 & FG was 0.996 which gave me above 18% abv with ec1118 but it never stopped fermenting like this one did , so you don't think it will restart even with a starter ? rite now abv is about 16% & just want to burn some residual sugar & finish a little tart like last batch

Last batch had SG of 1.134 & FG was 0.996 which gave me above 18% abv with ec1118 but it never stopped fermenting like this one did , so you don't think it will restart even with a starter ? rite now abv is about 16% & just want to burn some residual sugar & finish a little tart like last batch

No. Alcohol is toxic to yeast. You can sometimes push a yeast a bit above it's normal ABV by incrementally feeding it, and pampering it, but getting it started again when you're at over 16% already is unlikely.

If your last batch was 1.134 with a FG of .996, that is over 18.2% ABV, not too unexpected with EC1118 if the yeast was really happy, with lots of nutrients, and not stalled. Typically, it will stop more like 16-17%.

OK thanks ! Maybe I can do a a single gallon & finish it tart , then mix them together cause this batch was started on 8-18 so I have time . Gonna rack tonite & maybe could rack again when the gallon finishes & mix . What do you think ?

Back