wine reduction as complex sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astor

Reaction score
Has anyone tried with a wine reduction as a complex sugar in a beer?? I was thinking that it can add complex in an old ale recipe or an imperial stout

Toss in a wine-soak oak spiral and you could have something special. Someone with wine experience will chime with the science and taste effects of a reduction, I have no idea but also think this is a very cool idea. I could see a flanders red getting really complex from this.

I don't see how it would be a sugar unless you added some since it has been fermented. Sounds like it would taste good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1, I think it is a very interesting idea, but wine generally has less gravity than water, so it wouldn't be a sugar. I would just add it straight, unless you wanted to eliminate the alcohol. Cooked wine doesn't taste the same. Good, but different.

+1, I think it is a very interesting idea, but wine generally has less gravity than water, so it wouldn't be a sugar. I would just add it straight, unless you wanted to eliminate the alcohol. Cooked wine doesn't taste the same. Good, but different.
I think that's incorrect. Gravity coming in thinner than water doesn't exactly mean there's no sugar. Alcohol is thinner than water so it would be possible to say that while sugar does exist in the solution there's enough alcohol to drive the gravity down.

I think that's incorrect. Gravity coming in thinner than water doesn't exactly mean there's no sugar. Alcohol is thinner than water so it would be possible to say that while sugar does exist in the solution there's enough alcohol to drive the gravity down.

But wines, once finished, don't have fermentable sugar. A dry wine, .990-.998 or so, will have no sweetness at all and definitely no fermentables. Even a sweet wine is that way due to reaching the alcohol tolerance of the wine yeast, or by stabilizing with sorbate- again, there would be no fermentation.

Latest posts

Back