Windsor Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I brewed a Dogfish Head 60 min IPA 3/3. I pitched one packet of rehydrated yeast on 3/3 @ 7:30pm 67 degrees. Dropped the temp to 65 where it stayed until Monday. By 8am on Sunday the yeast was rocking. Sometime on Monday the yeast finished. I've read where this yeast kicks ass early on and finishes quick.

Today I took a gravity reading and it's at 1.020 which seems to be the norm from what other people have said.

I would like to get close to my estimated FG of 1.014.

If I raise the temp to 70 and leave for another week would gravity fall enough to get to 1.014 or 1.015? I really would like to avoid pitching more yeast (don't have any more Windsor) but I could pitch S04 if needed.
Here's some additional info:
5 gal batch
Mash at 148
60 min boil
89.4% 2row
3.5% Amber malt
3.5% Carafoam
3.5% Acid Malt

Pitching more yeast or a different kind of yeast isn't the answer. The first problem is that you are taking a sample too early. For sure you should raise the temperature and let it have another week. That may or may not get you to your estimated FG. Note that the estimated final gravity is just that, an estimate and it can be influenced by the mix in your recipe and the yeast itself.

Danstar Windsor is a low attenuating English yeast, which can achieve at least 70% attenuation, if you treat it right. You will have to mash low, very low and use sugar in the boil. I too used Windsor for the last 3 brews and got 70 ( 1.067 - complex Brown ale ), 71 ( 1.050 - Red ale ) and 73% attenuation ( 1.054 - ESB ), by mashing low, long and using sugar.

I fermented somewhat cold at 66F and raised the temp. 2 days after the yeast began fermenting. The yeast was finished at day 4 and just left it at 70-72F to clean after itself. I bottled at day 14 from pitching yeast.

You could try raising the temperature, but I think you're too late. If you have the time, raise the temp., give it 3-5 days and see what happens.

The beer will not feel under-attenuated, but medium-full bodied, with pleasent ( green ) English esters.

Last edited:
Gravity won't fall any more. When Windsor is all done, it's all done. You can try adding a starter of Notty or S-04 or something to improve the attenuation.

Thanks for the replies. I've read how fast this yeast starts/finishes and personally, I've never had a yeast be as vigorous as Windsor. Really weird that it just basically stopped all at once.

Anyway, I'll let it ride. Will raise temps to 70 over a period of a few days then will probably dry hop on Monday then transfer to keg next weekend.

If it stays at 1.020 then I'll go with that.

First experience i've had with it and it does exactly what you've mentioned. goes hard and stops hard. Fg was higher than anticipated too. Next time i'll definately mash low when using this yeast again.

My brown got down to 1.019, but the Red and ESB down to 1.014. Pretty weird two of them stopped at the same FG.

I mashed at 148 which is the lowest I've ever mashed. Where it stands, it's no where near 72% attenuation. Guess next time, I'll add some sugar to the boil to see if that helps and will keep fermentation temps close to 70.

Since it's an IPA I guess the OG was, what, 1.065? If it is at 1.020 now, that means 68% AA and that is definatley not low for that yeast.

Latest posts

Back