Windsor Ale Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Made NB's chocolate stout. Used washed/harvested yeast from their Caribou Slobber kit (Windsor Ale Yeast - dry) and made a starter from it. However, my house is pretty cool now and the fermenter is only about 63. That yeast is supposed to be about 66-74. I have two blankets around the primary bucket and I have given the bucket a few gentle shakes to stir up the yeast. Any other free/easy fixes to get that yeast up a few degrees? If it remains right below its target temp, will it more likely just take a while longer to get to its target FG?

I brewed it on Sunday and pitched at 70. The airlock bubbled for a couple days as it was in the mid/upper 60's. Since then, it's dropped to its current temp of 64. Wish I had a way to raise it up a few degrees, but besides putting blankets on my bucket, I don't really have any ideas.

The problem you may get, is when fermentation slows, it stops creating it's own heat, and if too low, the yeast could drop before fermentation is complete.

I added a third blanket around/on top of my primary and that bumped it up a couple of degrees. It's now at 66. I wish it was around 68-69, but I think given my lack of a fermentation heater, this is about all I can hope for. We keep our house pretty cool while we're away at work to keep the heat bill down. Might invest in a fermentation heater this holiday season...

Back