Willamette Hops: What do you use them in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
I purchased a heavy pound (turned out to be 24oz.) of Willamette hops on sale. I've used them in an APA and they were good. Recently I've used them in a few lagers and finally got to taste the first lager I made with them.

It's delicious! This is an interesting change from the noble hops I usually brew with. Now I'm wondering what else would work with these hops?

If you're not looking for fruity or tropical, they're good for almost everything. I typically use them for porters, stouts, and English-type pale ales, (the latter when I'm out of EKG or fuggles).

Willamette is one of my favorite hops. I use it, with Magnum for bittering, in everything from Blonde Ales to strong Porters and in light lagers. I like that combination because both are pretty neutral, or “clean” flavored. They provide enough bittering to offset any residual sugars but aren’t going to overwhelm the malt flavors. I think Willamette can be used in any style that isn’t super hoppy.

Works great in lagers too. After all, it was bred for use in standard American lagers, and was the most widely grown American aroma hop until Anheuser Busch was sold in 2007 and the new owners eliminated contracts and started using more European hops they already had under contract. I love it in all lagers, as well as English style ales. Could just about be my "desert island" hop.

I usually use leaf willamette in post whirlpool hop step, mostly lagers, but fine for ales too. Has a lot of flavor I like, but not overwhelming.

It has Fuggle in its background so anything English it works great in. Porters, stouts, Bitters, IPAs. I’ve also used it in Belgian-style beers.

Versatile hop

Because of price I have been buying pounds of Willamette for years. Combined with price it struck me as a versatile hop. This is how I use them. Most beers other than ipas and pale ales seem to only need an oz or 2. And this hop with its pleasing flavor works well for that oz. I have made many smash ipas with it and they are nice, but would rather use citra.

After years of buying bulk Willamette i decided to just buy the oz or 2 called for figuring wth might as well spend the extra money and get the right hops. But this hasnt gone that great. First, my lhbs wants 3 or 4 an oz and second the quality seems to suck. Not as fresh as my feesh pound which is used and vacu sealed for next time. Anyways great hop and it will work nicely in most beers.
If you're not looking for fruity or tropical, they're good for almost everything. I typically use them for porters, stouts, and English-type pale ales, (the latter when I'm out of EKG or fuggles).

Willamette has been around for a long, long time. When I began brewing 20+ years ago Fuggle and EKG were hard to come by. Depending on where you lived in the US you basically had a couple of C hops to chose from and then there was Willamette. As others have noted it its parentage is from Fuggle and for a long time was all I used for English styles. I have gotten so used to being able to get real Fuggle and EKG that this post reminded me of how much I used to love Willamette. I think I need to buy some soon.

I use them in cream ales, my honey wheat, my American version of a British dark mild, my ale version of Schwarzbier, and my attempt as a red plum ale (neutered old ale), along with a biscuity amber and my attempts at a black beer that tastes like an amber. Oh, and some blondes.

Back