Will This Beer Ever Clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recipe for a 2.5-gallon batch

2 lbs. Pilsner
2 lbs. white wheat
0.5 lb. flaked oats

12 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh (4.4% AA) @ 60 min.
6 g ground cinnamon,10 minutes stand @ 170
9 g ground sweet orange peel, 10 minutes stand @ 170

Between the flaked oats, the wheat, and any essential oils in the cinnamon and orange peel, is this beer going to be permanently hazy, or will enough time get me a clear beer?

From the recipe, it seems like a wit or something close to one. With the wheat and the oats being more than 50%, one would think it was supposed to be hazy. No?

With that much wheat and flaked oats it's certainly going to take a while...for example I have an American Wheat recipe that is 50% Wheat Malt with some flaked wheat...that beer takes 6-8 weeks to get clear sitting in the keg. I don't use any finings and i love the natural haze and im always a little sad when it clears.

It is kind of a wit, but I don’t really like coriander outside of Chicken Tikka Masala, and I used US-05. So an Americanized wit, with cinnamon.

It’s been four or five weeks cold in the keg, with no signs at all of clearing yet. Tastes very good, a little light on the cinnamon and orange if you can believe it, so it may not stick around long enough. If it’s just me I don’t care about a little haze, but if I’m going to serve it (or the next batch) to company I always feel better when it’s clear. Just curious on what folks’ predictions were.

It is kind of a wit, but I don’t really like coriander outside of Chicken Tikka Masala, and I used US-05. So an Americanized wit, with cinnamon.

It’s been four or five weeks cold in the keg, with no signs at all of clearing yet. Tastes very good, a little light on the cinnamon and orange if you can believe it, so it may not stick around long enough. If it’s just me I don’t care about a little haze, but if I’m going to serve it (or the next batch) to company I always feel better when it’s clear. Just curious on what folks’ predictions were.

If you've got it chilled and in the keg, you can add some gelatin finings to help clear it up.

If you mash low or shorten the mash time with that much wheat and oats you might end up with unconverted starch in the wort. Starch haze never clears.

I too make an American wheat with 50% wheat malt (no flaked,that's for wits). I whirlfloc at 15 min and gelatin in the keg and it's clear after 4 weeks in the lagerator. I do the same fining for my wits but with 50% of the wheat being flaked the keg is almost clear....... and then it's kicked. I also use a very flocculant yeast like BRY-97 or Notty. Maybe this will help your next one.

I really enjoy clear beers. Sometimes they are difficult to fine in a keg. Just hit it with gelatin and let it clarify, looking at your recipe, I don’t see there's anything that won’t drop out over a short time (except that cinnamon, eck!!!!)
30D0620B-C3D4-48B9-9999-13C951246E4C.jpeg

The cinnamon is just barely over the taste threshold, and it adds something I like. Probably going to bump it and the orange peel up 50% next time … and maybe skip the oats. But yeah, heavy cinnamon in beer would be yuck.

Not drinking just that one; there are 24 beers on tap in the garage keezers (and a half dozen more waiting to go on.)

So maybe a different sort of drinking problem. Or a brewing problem.

Not drinking just that one; there are 24 beers on tap in the garage keezers (and a half dozen more waiting to go on.)

So maybe a different sort of drinking problem. Or a brewing problem.
24 taps! Come on man iv got to see this setup.

I was a little disappointed clicking on this thread. I was expecting a beer that had been made with:

large-everclear190grainalcohol200mlbt.jpg

Back