Will the coffee flavor fade??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I 'Dry Beaned' a stout with coffee beans for the first time recently and think I may have overdone it. I used about 2.5 ounces of French Roast beans crushed with a rolling pin and put them in with the beer for almost a week.

I then kegged and now 2.5 weeks later the coffee flavor is over bearing. It literally tastes like cold carbonated coffee. I know that 2+ wks is not a long time when it comes to flavors changing/melding together in a beer, but I am just wondering what to expect when it comes to coffee flavor imparted this way. Will it fade over time or is this flavor pretty much what I can expect. I like the coffee/stout flavor combo, but there is a bit too much coffee going on in this one for me.

It will fade, I used 2.5 oz in 5 gal dry seeped, same method with rolling pin. Three weeks and the flavor has mellowed nicely. I also seeped co co nibs and both blended nicely. Give it more time

Well that brings up another question (perhaps I need to post it in the kegging forum, but I will start here). So this batch is a 10 gallon batch, so far I only dry beaned 5 gallons of it and kegged it. The other 5 gallons is still in a carboy and has not had any coffee added to it. So at this point I could blend the two, my question is this.

I have 1 5 gallon corny fully carbed and 5 gallons in a carboy. I have another corny keg so that is not a problem, just not sure the best way to blend the two at this point. How do you transfer carbed beer from one keg to another, and then is it ok to add flat beer to it and just hook it up to gas and carb like normal?

Well that brings up another question (perhaps I need to post it in the kegging forum, but I will start here). So this batch is a 10 gallon batch, so far I only dry beaned 5 gallons of it and kegged it. The other 5 gallons is still in a carboy and has not had any coffee added to it. So at this point I could blend the two, my question is this.

I have 1 5 gallon corny fully carbed and 5 gallons in a carboy. I have another corny keg so that is not a problem, just not sure the best way to blend the two at this point. How do you transfer carbed beer from one keg to another, and then is it ok to add flat beer to it and just hook it up to gas and carb like normal?

I just posted this in another thread this morning- on how to "jump" to a new keg! The easy way to move carbonated kegged beer is to make a "jumper cable". It's simply two black quick disconnects, and a length (maybe 5') of beer line. Sanitize the receiving keg, and give it a shot of co2. Pull the pressure relief valve. Then, reset the regulator to 2-3 psi on the full keg. Put the first black QD on the "out" of that keg. Then put the second QD on the "out" of the receiving keg. Pull the pressure relief valve on that receiving keg, and the beer will flow. Put your hand on the side, and you can fill the cold temperature of the beer through the keg so you know how full it is!

When you're done, just pull off the second QD on that receiving keg.

What I would probably do is add the flat beer to the receiving keg first, to reduce chances of oxidation and foaming. But for the original keg, you will have to siphon gently or have another empty keg to do the same thing.

Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys (and gals!). I think I am going to give it another couple of weeks and if it has not faded enough for my tastes then I will go the mixing route. Thanks again!

I added 16oz. of espresso to 2 1/2 gal. of a porter I brewed last year. I loved it because of the coffee flavor it imparted on the beer. However, over time the coffee flavor diminished to a "hint". It was still my favorite, but the degree of coffee flavor became less noticeable over time.

NRS

Back