Will spice age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrout

Reaction score
Hey all

I brewed pumpkin stout last month, I added more spices than I normally do in a pumpkin ale. I was concerned that they wouldn't hold up against the strong toasty and coffee flavors of the stout.
Well, of course I added too much! I like my pumpkin beers to have a very subtle pumpkin flavor. this beer has too much clover character.

So my questions is, will these spice flavors diminish with aging?

I plan on aging this beer for a while and am hopeful the flavors will die down, so the beer is more approachable.

Thanks

Just bottled my Christmas ale...and tasting my FG sample, could tell that the All-Spice was way overpowering......particularly the cloves character. Thankfully it has 2months to age and mellow a little.

I have mine in a keg and plan on transferring to 22 oz flip tops so I can cellar them for a while. Should be cool to open one up every few months and see how it changes.

I added too much when I made mine ( I was doing it by nose LOL) and it did reduce after a couple months. I still have a few bottles about 2 years old so I can give you an update on those too.

It may be different with JOAM but I've had cloves age out of my Ginger Orange Dortmunder, with all the other flavors just fine. Besides how long are you talking with the mead? A year? My understanding is that few people actually age Joe's, they consider it a quick mead. SO it is hard to judge if folks aren't giving it a year or two.

Latest posts

Back