Will PID turn on automatically

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toejam792

Reaction score
Hi I'm getting my toes wet in electric brewing. I only have a 1500 watt element and heating up 18 gallons for my strike water takes about 3 hours. I'm considering getting a smart outlet so I can turn on my element from anywhere using my phone. My question is when I have my control panel built and all switches set up to heat strike water will the PID automatically start to heat to the set point that it was at before the power was disconnected, or do I have to hit a button to turn it on.

Hi I'm getting my toes wet in electric brewing. I only have a 1500 watt element and heating up 18 gallons for my strike water takes about 3 hours. I'm considering getting a smart outlet so I can turn on my element from anywhere using my phone. My question is when I have my control panel built and all switches set up to heat strike water will the PID automatically start to heat to the set point that it was at before the power was disconnected, or do I have to hit a button to turn it on.

I can only speak for my Auber PID's but YES this should be possible ss long as the PID can read the temp probe and you dont have and power switches turned off to the element from your contactor/ssr then yea it should fire right up as soon as it gets power.

Some people use a simple timer socket so their water is at strike temp when they wake up.

Just a thought, but many "smart" outlets have wattage ratings....make sure your not pulling more Amps than the outlet is rated for.

Thanks mkirkland, I ordered the mypin but I'm guessing their close to the same.
I'll probably just use a simple timer for a little while till I get my system figured out. I know I need more power but I'm not running 220 to my garage this year maybe next spring if I have a few dollars to spend. Thanks for all your replies.

Latest posts

Back