Will oak flavor dissipate with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I've made a Firestone Walker Double Barrel ale. I just kegged and tasted the beer. It had a pleasant taste, but definitely too oakey for my liking.

I used the medium toast chips per the recipe (morebeer kit). The chips went into the conical five days before the end of secondary. However... my schedule didn't allow me to rack to the kegs for an extra four days. Wow, to be honest, I really didn't think that should make a difference---but, apparently the chips really work fast.

So I am wondering if the wood taste, like hops, will diminish with extended aging. I did add gelatin two nights ago to clarify and hoping that too might drop any of that oak'ness.
That said, I don't want to tie up all three kegs for a potentially long process. Perhaps age one in the keg, and rack to bottles and condition that way the second two.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Oak will integrate with your beer and diminish slightly over time. Gelatin will cling to some off the oak tannins causing some to fall out

Thanks 77! I was hoping for good news on this. Ok, that said, what about dry hopping and see if the hop aroma distracts from the oak aroma? Or is this a waste of time? ( seems fixing something by getting complicated usually is futile)

Since I have 15 gal., I think I will actually bottle 5 gal. as an experiment and set them away for six months as see what happens as a comparison.

Back