Will my starter be enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRBeer

Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions are whether I should buy another pack of yeast or just pitch this starter.

I am making a RIS tomorrow with an OG of 1.107. I am using a wyeast smack pack and I made a 2L starter that will be on the stir plate for about 15 hours before I pitch it. Based on the yeast calculators I used I am not sure this will produce a high enough cell count. Do you guys think the cell count will be high enough or should I just grab another smack pack from the homebrew store and pitch that along with my starter?

I'm looking for some opinions are whether I should buy another pack of yeast or just pitch this starter.

I am making a RIS tomorrow with an OG of 1.107. I am using a wyeast smack pack and I made a 2L starter that will be on the stir plate for about 15 hours before I pitch it. Based on the yeast calculators I used I am not sure this will produce a high enough cell count. Do you guys think the cell count will be high enough or should I just grab another smack pack from the homebrew store and pitch that along with my starter?

2L should be sufficient. You need about 350 million yeast cells.
1.8L on stir plate of 1.040 starter with fresh liquid yeast should get you there.

Are you adding any sugar or other fermentables? If so, I would add it later to take pressure off the yeast.

I just used dme, I'm not adding anything else, the date on the packet was 7/19 so the yeast isn't too old but its definitely dropped in cell count from the original 100 billion. I'm sure it will end up alright but I don't want to mess this up because I give it away as christmas gifts each year!

A few weeks ago I made the Kate the Great RIS and using brewer's friend yeast pitch calculator it told me I needed 736 billion yeast cells. Designed at 1.110 OG and six gallons into the fermenter. I hit 1.108 and a bit over 6 gallons. I made a 4 liter 1.040 OG starter. Cold crashed it a high krausen and then put it in the fridge and decanted most of the liquid before warming it and pitching into the wort.

Latest posts

Back