WI'll I be ok???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
So I did my first porter about an hour ago and had an OG of 1.034 and I was aiming for about a 1.047! It bugs the hell out of me when I don't hit my numbers dead on! Here is the recipie I did
8 lbs. American 2-row info
.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt info
.3 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L info
.5 lbs. Roasted Barley info
1.25 oz. Goldings (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
.5 oz. Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
.25 oz. Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 1028 London Ale info
and I added about 8oz of hibiscus with the boil... Can someone tell me I'll be ok?!?!?

Yep, you will be fine. The beer will probably end up a little hoppier than the recipe would have liked, but it will probably taste really good, and since the alcohol content won't be as high, you can drink more of it at a time!

I didn't hit my mark today either, though for me I went over, I was aiming for like 1.054 and I got in the arena of >1.060. I need a more repeatable process. Do you have any idea what may have thrown off your gravity today? Lower then expected volume maybe?

Oh and just to be sure, was the wort cool when you took the reading, I know its brewing 101 but have to ask. As the wort cools it will increase in gravity.

It was a out 75ish I think... Think that's to warm?

Dude, the think to remember is that even if you don't hit your numbers....you still made beer.

It may not be exactly what you planned, but it is still going to be beer.

And ultimately that is all that matters.

Thats what DME is for.

I did my first AG a few weeks ago. Once in the kettle I checked the OG and got 1.030, did not factor in temperature conversion. Panicked added a pound and a half of DME and ended up overshooting the OG by .010.

Either way you are going to end up with beer. I figure i can get all the 3.2 beer I want in Utah, if I am going to make a mistake I want it to be on the high end of the alcohol scale.

Back