Will cold crashing delay bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I've got an English Pale Ale in the primary right now....it's almost done fermenting and I'm going to transfer it to a carboy in my fridge (40°F) for a week to clear it up.

Since cold crashing drops a lot of the yeast out of suspension will there still be enough to bottle condition, and if so will I have to allow it a longer period of time to do so?

I cold crashed my "Old Ale" for a week at the same temp. Then warmed it up, and bottled. Carbed just fine after 2 weeks, with a fantastic head, and no haze.

Probobly depends on type of yeast. There will always be some yeast floating around, so worst case scenerio is you might just have to wait a bit longer.

nick

OK...good to know. The yeast i'm using has high flocculation--that's why I was worrying about too much of it dropping out.

I am convinced that homebrews that are not pasteurized will always bottle condition. I left my Pumpkin ale this year in secondary for 2 months at ~50 degF and it still carbonated great. It took a month and a half to carbonate and I was glad I had 5g in a keg, but it did carbonate and not is very nice.

I think you will be fine. Go for it!

Back