Will a pressurized keg freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to put a kegerator in my garage. However, I'm afraid the beer will freeze (it's winter where I live right now). I've had crappy canned beer freeze on me in the fridge I want to use from time to time. I was just wondering if the fact that the beer would be under constant pressure would mean it wouldn't freeze? Any thoughts?

It will definitely freeze. The pressure we work with isn't going to affect the transition temperatures of the beer in any measurable way. Think about it- the beer in the cans was under constant pressure too.

I believe the increased pressure in a keg will have minimal impact on the chance of your beer in a keg freezing:

"It is also true that pressure changes the melting temperature. However, because the volume occupied by a kilogram of liquid is not much different from that occupied by a kilogram of solid, this effect is very small unless the pressures are very large. For most substances, the freezing point rises, though only very slightly, with increased pressure."
From: http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/freezing-point-depression-boiling-point-elevation.htm

In other words, may your beer freeze? Yes, it might. Just depends on the temperature...

Welcome to HBT! Lots of great people and information here. Beer that is in a keg will freeze just the same as beer in a bottle. Many people put a small light or heater in their kegerator during the winter months.

Any ideas on what type of light or heater I could get for that? Something that has some sort of temperature control I assume?

Oh, it'll freeze. I've frozen many. The freezing point is under water, but not that much.

Here in Florida, we won't have that problem in our garage. But we do have that problem when we clean our keezer and forget to toss the temp sensor back into the keezer when we're done.

I use a Lasko MyHeat that has been modified to run the fan constantly when turned on and the heater element is controlled via a BCS-460 using PID. In the past I used a 15 watt light bulb wired to a Love TSS2. There are also commercially available temperature controllers sold by brewing supply companies. Do a quick search for "temperature control" in the DIY section here at HBT and I am sure you will find a solution that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if it was in a refrigerator and it was turned off and the refrigerator was left outside, or in an unheated garage in below freezing temperatures?

The fridge is in a garage, it still get's cold enough to freeze. Passedpawn, what's your setup?

The fridge is in a garage, it still get's cold enough to freeze. Passedpawn, what's your setup?

15 cu.ft. freezer in the garage. It's just for fermenting, cold-crashing, and force carbing. I've got a CO2 tank and regulator in there.

This controller, which is dual stage, which means it will kick the freezer on when the temp is above the setpoint, and a heater will kick on when the temp is below the set point (which is 65F there).
2012-11-26-at-221414-57588.jpg

This Controller:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057APR3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This Heater:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
this is really an interesting idea and well worth looking into. the total setup is about 77 usd and worth it. I dont use my keezer for lagering or for fermenting, but just for dispensing beer, and I also have a co2 tank in there for carbonation.

Interesting question posed in this thread.

passedpawn, I think I'm going to run your setup. I just have one last question for you. Where does the sensor for the controller site? Is it a cord that I could run into my fridge so I don't have to have the controller in the actual fridge? I don't want to try and heat the whole garage!

passedpawn, I think I'm going to run your setup. I just have one last question for you. Where does the sensor for the controller site? Is it a cord that I could run into my fridge so I don't have to have the controller in the actual fridge? I don't want to try and heat the whole garage!

Hah. It's that gray cable running from the controller. It's about 3 or 4 feet long. I have the other end of it sitting in a jar of water in my freezer.

I'll warn you right now, that controller does NOT come with those nice neat white plugs (COLD/HOT) or a power cord (the other white one in my pic). Those 3 things you need to cut yourself and then wire into this little box. If you are not comfortable with wiring something like that, you might get some help.

Nope, I did research on it and saw that. I can handle that simple of a wiring. I just redid all of my outlets, and I think I'll probably just wire that to an outlet, not do cords coming out of it. Also, my cousin is an electrician, so worst case scenario, he'll help me and I'll give him some beer :).

Nope, I did research on it and saw that. I can handle that simple of a wiring. I just redid all of my outlets, and I think I'll probably just wire that to an outlet, not do cords coming out of it. Also, my cousin is an electrician, so worst case scenario, he'll help me and I'll give him some beer :).

The outlet is a great idea. Now, why didn't I do that? :(

Alright everyone, thanks for your help. I did end up just going the lazy route and running a cord to my temperature controller. It's a good thing I got it, when I went to put it in last night, there were a couple beers in there a couple nights ago as my "test" beers and they did explode. Here's the final setup http://imgur.com/a/wf61y#0

Latest posts

Back